+ Reply to Thread

Default Slide In Range Height Issue

Hello, I seem to be having the opposite problem that most people with slide in ranges seem to be having on the internet. We just got new quartz counters and hardwood flooring in our kitchen and the slide in range is too short for the countertops. The feet have been raised as high as possible and the range is still too short. Before I build a platform which I assume will be ugly unless I hide with trim, does anyone know if there are accessories you can buy to raise the height? ie. taller feet, platforms that match the oven? It's a GE Electric.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Slide In Range Height Issue

What is the height difference? 1/2"? 1"?

how tall are your countertops? are they higher than 36"?

It's close to 1/2 inch higher than the counter. I don't have the measurement of the counter height on me at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by krutledge View Post
    It's close to 1/2 inch higher than the counter. I don't have the measurement of the counter height on me at the moment.
    Mark where the front feet are when the stove is in place. Pull the stove and cut two lengths of flooring and place them from your marks to the back wall. Install stove, install 1/2" quarter round or transition molding across the from of the shim stock.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote: "The feet have been raised as high as possible and the range is still too short".

Quote: "It's close to 1/2" higher than the counter".

Two conflicting statements: which one is correct?

in any event, be sure to keep the anti- tip -over thingee in place.

We recently trimmed a house where the owners wanted the base cabinetry 2" higher than usual. The cabinetmaker made a higher base section and all was well until the appliances were to be installed. We built a platform for the dishwasher, the cabinet maker supplied extra toe-kick material to blend it in, but the owner wanted to be able to slide the stove out for cleaning so a simple platform wouldn't work. We discussed making a rolling platform, or a system using 2 wheels and cabinet drawer slides to maintain alignment, and it all seemed to just be too much work to solve such a simple problem. Then I remembered that years ago my Mom had some plastic rollers which were made for refrigerators without them, one long unit for each side. I don't know where the owner got them but they worked, even with the anti-tip installed (which had to be raised accordingly). They didn't mind the big gap under the stove so neither did we

If it's just 1/2" you need, you may be able to find some kind of furniture leg pad to put under the feet- you may have to double or triple them. You could place two strips of shimming under the feet, one on each side. Or a platform, knowing that sliding the stove out is now going to be lifting it out, not sliding. The best time to address the issue has passed so now any solution will be sub-optimal. It seems that the new counter-tops were too thick, and the new flooring didn't compensate. The cabinets could have been cut down to fit when the flooring was done but that didn't happen. It could still be done but now it will be a lot of work. Someone dropped the ball early on and the game is still suffering from that mistake.

There's a reason for standard heights and sizes. Unless you have a very good reason to change them and understand what you're doing and how it will interact with everything else, it's best to stay with them because they work.

Phil