+ Reply to Thread

Default Stubborn air lock... Help!

I have an air lock in my hot water system affecting 1/2 of my house. This arose after a few days of extremely cold weather where I did not use the hot water on that side. Looping the hot & cold on the washing machine did not work. Do you have any suggestions for a cheap fix that does not require calling a plumber, as I cannot afford a service call. Thanks

Default Re: Stubborn air lock... Help!

Are you sure you don't have a frozen pipe somewhere?

Turn off the HWH and open all the taps at the same time.

Default Re: Stubborn air lock... Help!

Quote Originally Posted by DrDann View Post
    I have an air lock in my hot water system affecting 1/2 of my house. This arose after a few days of extremely cold weather where I did not use the hot water on that side. Looping the hot & cold on the washing machine did not work. Do you have any suggestions for a cheap fix that does not require calling a plumber, as I cannot afford a service call. Thanks
    Supply-side plumbing is pretty simple. Either you have an adequate size 'hole' going back to the supply point or you don't. Any air in the system will get displaced by water as it flows*. Something's clogging the 'hole' and I too bet that it's ice. If you survived this event without anything bursting, next time it gets cold let the water run to that side- a small stream, not near a drip. And insulate the affected pipes, adding heat tape if that seems a good idea.

*No, I'm not forgetting air-hammer arrestors etc, I'm just making an easy explanation that fits the problem at hand.

Phil