+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Musty closets

Default Musty closets

My home is a late-60s rambler inexpensively built with the clothes closets on the outside walls. The 2x4 studs are covered with what was once called Tem-Lok, then T1-11 siding. I'm certain there is no vapor barrier and the insulation may have Kraft paper, if I'm lucky. I applied Kilz sealer on the inside walls under the new paint. I'm using DampRid religiously. Annual rainfall is less than 20", though there is much moisture in the air all the time. My heat is forced air. Mildew accumulates on the clothes, shoes, etc. What can I do to alleviate the problem short of removing the siding and adding a vapor barrier? Thank you.

Default Re: Musty closets

Leave the door open on the closet to get more airflow in there.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You can also place a small portable fan to circulate the air in the closet. This will help in reducing the mold temporarily.

Keep in mind that if you don't fix what has to be fixed, you will continue to have that mold issue.

Full louvered doors would allow for lots of airflow.

Not sure what this closet houses, but if it's an entry closet for jackets, DO NOT put wet jackets/clothing in the closet, especially with the door closed. Put the garment on a hanger and then hang it on the doorknob or other handy place to dry first, even the trim at the top of the door will work.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!