+ Reply to Thread

Default Skim Coat Or Sand

Hello!

I have an approximately 113 year old house with wall paper that is I'm guessing around 30 years old, maybe a bit less. Plaster walls behind it that are white, I'm guessing some type of primer had been added prior to the wall paper as it was on top of a bunch of patches to the wall.

My question is once I get the wallpaper off, how can I go about evening out these patches. Just based on the one strip I have removed thus far there are going to be tons of patches all over the place and they are definitely proud of the surface of the wall. Can I sand them down like drywall patches, or do I have to skim coat the entire wall?

If I put enough primer on there will it help the paint not to seep into the patches and thus be blatantly obvious?

I have a picture showing all of this, but the site keeps telling me it's an invalid format, even though I tried .jpg and .png, and resized it down.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Skim Coat Or Sand

It depends on what the wall was patched with whether or not you'll be able to sand it, I would give that a shot first. If you're lucky, it was patched with drywall compound and will be relatively easy to sand.

If a plaster or stucco mix was used, then you're in for some work. In this scenario I would first see if it can be scra-ped or sanded, if not, I've had good luck with an angle grinder to remove the worst of the lumps and bumps, then float with drywall topping compound.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would recomend after wall paper is removed that you skim coat with a good veneer plaster material.
    In order of preference I would use
    Master of Plaster
    USG Diamond finish
    Keim
    Variance
    Texston
    Master Wall

I'd got with Clarence's suggestion it you're good with skimming finishes, and with A. Spruce's if you're not. It's not a skill I've ever been good at myself so I call in my finisher if more than a little patchwork is involved. He's good, I ain't, and that makes the best decision easy for me to figure out!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by salvadorsPainting View Post
    if you remove glue the right way you might not have to skim coat the whole wall
    contact me at (DELETED)
    It seems this guy didn't read your question. If you want a smooth wall, do as the others have said- they know what they are speaking of very well.

(and posting to advertise your business is not kosher on these forums Duly reported to the Mods by moi )

Phil