+ Reply to Thread

Talking How to box in rigid dryer vent

Hi--

First time user here. I am posting to plumbing because it was our plumber who did the job . . . I need to figure out the best way to box in a rigid dryer duct pipe that runs out from the laundry alcove through the wall, out above the toilet and then to the outside. The dimensions for any box would need to be 37 1/2" X 6" X 10" . We were hoping to make a shelf out of it and maybe incorporate bead board as we have some in the bathroom.

Suggestions? Any site that explains how to box something in?

Thanks so much.

Default Re: How to box in rigid dryer vent

The easiest way is to frame it, then drywall and finish.

If I am understanding this correctly, is the dryer vent outlet lower than where the vent pipe dumps to outside? If so you have a potential fire hazard going and it is specifically disallowed by code which requires dryer venting to be run level or downhill and not to exceed 40 ft in length. Otherwise lint can easily accumulate in the vent which not only reduces the dryers efficiency but can catch fire.

Please do tell, perhaps we can help you find a better way to vent the dryer; the least we can do is try!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    If I am understanding this correctly, is the dryer vent outlet lower than where the vent pipe dumps to outside? If so you have a potential fire hazard going and it is specifically disallowed by code which requires dryer venting to be run level or downhill and not to exceed 40 ft in length. Otherwise lint can easily accumulate in the vent which not only reduces the dryers efficiency but can catch fire.

Please do tell, perhaps we can help you find a better way to vent the dryer; the least we can do is try!

Phil
    Phil,
    When a dryer is in a basement, the vent's opening to the outside is always higher than the dryer outlet.

You can't do that here anymore and I'd venture a guess that this code is pretty much nationwide now as it's been in place all over here for 8+ years. The problem is that dryer exhaust will contain lint, which is flammable, and with any upward angle to the outside vent there is a chance it will accumulate in a low spot creating a heat-intensive point which might ignite. There are documented cases of this.

If folks cleaned these out regularly there would be no problem, but the baby-sitters making code these days don't believe that anyone is responsible to maintain anything so they write the code in such a way as to cover the irresponsible folks as much as they can. You know that I don't always agree with the codes but if I see where something may be a problem I'm going to try to ascertain if there might be a better solution to be found- especially if that solution meets code! So unless there is no other way, Ill stick to my original advice to rework this vent line to a better configuration if that's possible, thus solving the 'boxing in' dilemma at the same time.

Phil