+ Reply to Thread

Default Got around $100 for a tool, what to get?

looking at possibly a collated screw gun (need to put up OSB in the garage workshop soon, as well as patching some subfloor in the house) or an impact driver. Would be going refurb either way to get in the price range. Which do you guys think would be more useful, or are there any other power tools that would be more useful?

I already have:

table saw
    miter saw
    hammer drill (corded)
    cordless drill
    jigsaw
    dremel

On my list to get eventually:
    hand planer (for trimming down some doors that don't close quite right)
    circular saw
    reciprocating saw
    random orbit sander
    chainsaw (cheap electric one is all I need)
    belt/disc sander

I just do basic DIY stuff, first time homeowner feeling the whole handyman thing out. I have a father-in-law who owns most tools that I might need as well, just want to build my own collection. Oh, and I do own a pancake compressor and finish nailer as well.
    Last edited by BigBL87; 12-06-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Default Re: Got around $100 for a tool, what to get?

If by "impact driver" you mean the kind for driving screws into wood, go for that. They are wonderful tools. I want one, too.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    If by "impact driver" you mean the kind for driving screws into wood, go for that. They are wonderful tools. I want one, too.
    Ya, that's what I'm talking about. I'm thinking it would be useful for hanging the OSB, just would take longer than the screw gun and I'd probably use it more in the long run. Main reason I'm thinking about the collated screw gun is the time it would save in doing the OSB in the garage, not sure how much I'd use it after that.

No matter what you buy, make sure you buy a tool that you will use again and again and again.

From the list of tools you already have, it looks like you are already knee deep in tool planet...

Usually I'd recommend to buy branded tools, known for power and durability (I like Makita tools), but as a DIY-er, settling for less expensive tools will stretch your $100 a little further to possibly buy 2 tools. Go for a circular saw and a palm sander (Skil comes to mind). Check harborfreight.com and if you buy any tools from them, get only tools with lifetime warranty.

BTW, the two power tools I use the most are: Makita lith cordless drill and Makita corded framing hypoid circular saw.

I find that a drill press is about my second-most used shop tool, after the table saw. Then comes jointer, lathe, cut-off saw, planer, etc. The drill press is used not just for drilling, but contour sanding, wire-brushing, and polishing.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    I find that a drill press is about my second-most used shop tool, after the table saw. Then comes jointer, lathe, cut-off saw, planer, etc. The drill press is used not just for drilling, but contour sanding, wire-brushing, and polishing.
    Casey
    Interesting thought. I was going to ask what all I'd use a drill press for to justify it (I couldn't think of much that I'd do on a regular basis), but I suppose that list makes sense. I'm kinda leaning towards the impact driver now since both Amazon and my local Farm & Fleet currently have a 20v Porter Cable Impact driver kit on sale for $99 (down from $150ish). I like the Porter Cable compressor I have, anyone have any experience with their power tools?

Not a power tool, but one thing I use a lot and find useful is my Black & Decker Workmate. It's a foldable, adjustable work surface with a clamping mechanism. Kind of like a saw horse on steroids. I have two. One was given to me and one was inherited.
    I don't know if they are still made, but I've seen similar things from other companies.
    It really comes in handy when working alone.
    I've even used it with half the work surface folded up to support a small outboard motor running in a small garbage can of water to flush the motor.

Clamps.

The most useful clamps I have are some bar clamps with the trigger-style tightening mechanism, about 14" long. They can be clamped with one hand while the other hand is holding parts together. This style is particularly useful for home repairs, not just gluing in the workshop. (I have the Jorgensen E-Z Hold II clamps, which aren't made anymore. I like them because both ends float on the bar, and can be removed to install the clamp in a tight spot. They also can be used as spreaders.)

Regular bar or pipe clamps (with the screw head) are great for woodworking, but not as useful for general home repairs. However, small ones can be useful for clamping jigs on a table saw fence or other machinery.

I also like the locking plier-style clamps with the swivel pads; usually made of plastic. Spring clamps are OK, too.

The twin-screw wooden clamps are good, but take some finesse to get them clamped flat.

C-clamps aren't the best for woodworking; the pads are too small and will damage wood.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 12-07-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Porter Cable makes GREAT tools. I have the combo drill/hammer drill and it's a great tool with lots of torque and battery time.

If you go with a reciprocating saw, they are making pruning blades up to 12" that work really well, so you may be able to cover the reciprocating saw and electric chainsaw needs with one purchase.