+ Reply to Thread

Default Bypass Closet Door Track Removal

Our house was built in 1950 and the bedroom closet doors are metal bypass doors with an top and bottom track. We read up on swapping bypass for bifold and it seemed easy enough...until we attempted to remove the track. We started with the bottom and the track does lift out of the floor but it seems to be attached the frame of the closet. We have no idea what to do here and can't find any info on any situation like this anywhere! We've gotten this far and would love to finish the job without having to call in a handyman or contractor.

I have images but this website won't let me upload them.

-Jess

Default Re: Bypass Closet Door Track Removal

I have never run into a bypass door where the tracks were attached to the jamb legs. What I suspect is that the tracks are a very snug fit and have been painted into place. What I recommend is to run a utility knife around the ends of the track, lift it in the center. Have a helper hold one end to the floor and keep lifting in the center until the free end lifts. You can hold the free end down a little to keep from damaging the jamb. Basically, you need to flex the jamb out of it's resting place. If you have no intention of saving the track, then simply cut it in the center with a hack saw or sawzall, then lift each piece up against the jamb to break it loose.

The top track will be a bit more difficult, but removed similarly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I have never run into a bypass door where the tracks were attached to the jamb legs. What I suspect is that the tracks are a very snug fit and have been painted into place. What I recommend is to run a utility knife around the ends of the track, lift it in the center. Have a helper hold one end to the floor and keep lifting in the center until the free end lifts. You can hold the free end down a little to keep from damaging the jamb. Basically, you need to flex the jamb out of it's resting place. If you have no intention of saving the track, then simply cut it in the center with a hack saw or sawzall, then lift each piece up against the jamb to break it loose.

The top track will be a bit more difficult, but removed similarly.

Thanks! We thought that same thing too and tried the utility knife but it didnt' work, we are giving it a shot with the sawzall today, hopefully that does it!

Quote Originally Posted by JessRuth View Post
    Thanks! We thought that same thing too and tried the utility knife but it didnt' work, we are giving it a shot with the sawzall today, hopefully that does it!
    Hold your guns!

A sawzall may be too wild for this job. Try what spruce suggested with a small crowbar first. Work delicately around finished wood.

I'm giving away my secrets

When you can't get under something to pry, attach something to pry on from the parts you can get at- vice grips, a c-clamp, or even stiff wire ran through drilled holes. You may have to use blocking for the fulcrum of the crowbar but this method always works for me. Highly unlikely, but there may be a flange on the outside of old tracks (never seen one like that though) so watch the flooring as you pry and if it moves with the track, STOP and figure out what's going on.

Phil