+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Old cabinet in bathroom - what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    The biggest surprise I've ever found lurking in a bathroom wall was hundreds or old razor blades. Many old medicine cabinets has a slot in the bottom for this, and somewhere along the way it had been moved to another wall so the find was unexpected there!

Phil
    I remember the medicine cabinet in the house where I grew up had the slot for razor blades. I always wondered many years it would take to fill it up. My house doesn't have one and I use an electric razor.

Ok New theory. Husband still not wanting to cut open BUT we did notice something interesting. This back up to - on the other side is a hallway and directly behind is an old phone cubby. SO - We do think maybe this is an original cabinet with the bottom access to phone lines??????? Thoughts on the new theory? And I may be in there overnight with a knife prying it open - so curious....

Nice mix of colors for the tiles I must say. Well you could use it to store your cosmetics, medicines or first aid kit. I wouldn't force open the lower part and use the upper part for whatever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by ccp View Post
    Ok New theory. Husband still not wanting to cut open BUT we did notice something interesting. This back up to - on the other side is a hallway and directly behind is an old phone cubby.
    So perhaps this formed the back wall of the 'phone cubby'? If so maybe it wasn't meant to be moveable. Some careful measurement of the cubby location and depth in the wall could resolve that, or perhaps it was once movable so calls could be taken while most others would have been 'busy and unavailable?'

Just goes to show that you never know what you'll come across in an old house!

Phil

I was going to guess it was where they kept the Flux Capacitor or perhaps ghost storage. You never know.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Quote Originally Posted by ccp View Post
    Ok New theory... other side is a hallway and directly behind is an old phone cubby.
    Maybe you could turn it around and have a phone in the bathroom!
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Maybe you could turn it around and have a phone in the bathroom!
    Would that be creating a "Phony bathroom"? I'm not sure which section of the code book covers that, and if it were the only bathroom in the house that might be a crappy idea.

Phil