+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Home Second Floor Bathroom support

http://techzforum.com/photo.JPGI have a home built in 1917, there is a second story full bath. The home is a sears kit. We think the full bath was increased and redone sometime in the 40s based on the plumbing and the loads of concrete that we pulled out of there. Literally we removed thousand of pounds of concrete and tile out of there.

We took the room down to the studs, which revealed an odd subfloor. It was not a flat surface, it had the main joists cut to where they were pointey and then sub floor laying on boards that had been daughtered to the main joists. My contractor is laying plywood 3/4 over these joists but to do so he had to use a plainer in certain spots to bring make a level surface to screw the subfloor to, then backer then tile.

However given the the joists are made of 2x6s (16 on center) , and about a quarter inch sanded off, I am wondering if this could cause support issues, like the tub coming through the floor, sagging etc. Attached is a picture.

Questions:

1. Could there be support issues with the floor ?
    2. Should I pull mud or backer board to lay the tile on (this debate is driving me insane)
    3. we are using a cast iron tub.

Misc Information:

1. Bathroom is 7.75 Ft x 8.7 FT
    2. House built in 1917.
    Last edited by sander1981; 12-06-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Default Re: Old Home Second Floor Bathroom support

Sander,

The chopped tops of the joists are typical of an old style "mudded" floor.

Take some pictures and start your own thread over at the John Bridge Tile Forum. They have a handy dandy deflecto-meter where you can determine of the joists are up to tiling.

First your contractor has to determine your floor deflection (as houston said, there is a formula at johnbridgetileforum to determine that), BEFORE he lays down any plywood.

You will need to post your picture to a picture hosting site like photobucket.com, then put a link to it here. I can't visualize what you are talking about.

How long are the 2x6's?

Gents,

Could be this http://techzforum.com/photo.JPG

http://techzforum.com/photo.JPG Here is the photos.

Thanks so much,

Gents this forum is extremely frustrating first it wouldnt let me upload a picture, then when I uploaded to my domain and posted the pic, it removed my thread... Do they not want users ?

Don't feel bad. I can't post pictures either.

Head over to the tile forum. You can post pics there.

Sorry but some of the automated features of these forums are quite frustrating. Your pic seems to show a lot less than I'd want to see under a tile floor. And if the top of the toilet flange is anything to go by then you've got plenty of room to beef things up a lot.

Follow Houston's advice- the John Bridge forum is tops for tile knowledge and expertise.

Phil