+ Reply to Thread

Default Sometime Leaky Kohler Toilet Tank

I have a 3-hole Kohler toilet. Every once in a while it leaks from the bolts... I've finally figured out that this happens after I remove the top or nudge the tank in any way. Then it drips slowly. For -months- I thought it was leaking from the base.

I now realise that if I shake the tank it somehow 're-aligns' it and then it stops leaking. Until the next time the tank gets bumped.

Do I need to replace the screws/gasket with the entire 'kit'... or is there some way to re-align it so that it stays properly sealed?

Like I said, after it stops leaking it stays dry as a bone... sometimes for months at a time... until it next gets bumped.

TIA,

---JC

Default Re: Sometime Leaky Kohler Toilet Tank

Get a tank to bowl kit for a Kohler toilet and replace the bolts nuts and washers along with the tank to bowl gasket.
    John

I don't think that 'bumping' the toilet to the right or to the left is a long term solution.

Replace the tank-to-bowl bolts, nuts and washers, as john says. If you still have a leak, replace the flush valve gasket. If you still have a leak, replace the toilet or call a plumber.

The trouble with Kohler is that you need to use their parts, and their parts cost as much as a new toilet from other manufacturers which make and sell superior products for less. I have Mansfields, Eljers, Cranes and others, running trouble free for 20 years and more and none of those was over $100 (material only).

I'd do the whole tank-to-bowl stuff (including the gasket),then check the fill valve gasket and supply for tightness since I don't like going back to fix something else when I work on a fixture- might as well do it all while you're there!

There is a chance the tank bolts you have now are a bit too loose, so if this seems the case a simple tightening might solve this particular leak. However that would have come about due to shrinkage of the rubber washers, which would indicate they're aged, in which case please refer back to my first sentence.

Phil

Over the years, I have pulled hundreds of toilet tanks to access the wall for painting or wallpapering. I routinely carried replacement brass bolts, rubber washers, and new compression washers to assure watertightness when replacing the tank. It doesn't pay to try to reuse the old ones as they become brittle with age. The gasket between the tank and bowl rarely presented problems if the tank were properly tightened down.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    The gasket between the tank and bowl rarely presented problems if the tank were properly tightened down.
    Ordjen, I've seen much the same but sometimes the tank was never tightened properly, and over time that gasket deteriorated from chafing as the tank moved. The material some are made of gets kind of spongy and wet once the smooth surface on the outside is damaged. One state-licensed builder and master plumber I know always leaves his tanks too loose and I always had to go back behind him when he finished to remedy this- I couldn't get him to do them differently so rather than have problems (even if they weren't mine) I just did it myself. I can't recall that guy ever passing an inspection the first time round either; I wonder how he ever passed any licensing tests but he did!

Phil

Thanks for all the help!

It's surprising to me the way these Kohler things work. The tank sort of 'floats' on the rubber triangle. Which seems like a poor design. But what do I know. It's taken me years to figure out because the problem magically comes and goes so often.

--JC