+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Water Pressure Mystery

Phil, You were right. I had a plumber out to diagnose the issue. He blamed the pressure regulator valve. The amount he wanted to charge for replacing this was ridiculous. Is this something an amateur can handle on his own?

A typical water pressure regulator (3/4") is going to cost between $75-125, depending on where it's sourced from. A reputable plumber will probably charge a minimum 1 hour labor for replacement; also probably about $75-125. So a reasonable estimate to me would be between $150-250, assuming it's a straightforward installation. (Looks easy from here!)

Making a gross assumption that it's a simple, straightforward installation and you can replace it with the same make & model, it's a simple matter of shutting off the supply water, loosening the coupling nut on one side, unscrewing the other side from the pipe, sliding in the new one, and tightening everything up. Anything other than that, though, and all bets are off.

After that, you might need to adjust the pressure, which will require a gauge that can attach to a faucet (about $10).

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products...s.asp?pid=6805
    Last edited by Fencepost; 12-11-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks, the install of this plus a thermal expander was quoted at $1100. So I'd like to give it a shot on my own. My other question would be why would I need a thermal expander when I have these installed on my hot water tank and boiler? There wasn't an expander off the main line before (for the last 75 years) and everything was working fine until this recent occurrence.

Thanks for coming back with your discoveries. We like hearing back from folks so we can learn things too!

I'd replace the regulator with an exact replacement model which will put it into the relatively-easy DIY category. If you can't find an exact replacement you may have to use some adapters etc to make what you can get work. The guys at the plumbing supply house counter will be glad to walk you through the process and make sure you've got what you need to do the job. And I feel similarly about the "thermal expander"- if everything worked well without it then you should be OK without it now. Don't go fixing what ain't broke!

Regulators have moving parts, and anything with moving parts will wear out at some point. Since rebuilding isn't an option you replace as needed. I've seen regulators go 20+ years and some that got a bit less, but if it went close to that then I'd see replacement as maintenance, and wear as being the culprit. Nothing really failed, it just wore out. A new one should provide a similar service life, and I wouldn't start thinking of any additional work being really needed unless it starts failing far more rapidly.

Phil