+ Reply to Thread

Default Temporary Window Sash

Hello All!

I am planning on repairing, reglazing and repainting several old wood windows over the winter. I am looking for creative ways to fill the dead space in the window while I have the sash out. It will be cold and, obviously, I don't want it to be unsecure & empty for the two days it will take for the glazing and paint to dry.

Any ideas are appreciated

Default Re: Temporary Window Sash

It should be easy to measure and fit plywood in there. Rip strips to fit the sides to hold it, then use painters tape to seal it inside. This should hold you for a few days and the parts can be reused as-is on all the other windows of the same size when their turn comes. After all are done, the plywood might be useful in another project returning it's cost.

Phil

Thumbs up Re: Temporary Window Sash

Thanks Phil! I am also going to look and see if I have an old sash that is the same size and just replace as I repair.
    I thought maybe there was something made for this.

thanks for the reply!

As Phil said, plus you might want to back that plywood up with some rigid foam insulation attached with construction adhesive. Use some closed-cell foam self-adhesive weatherstripping between the plywood and the jamb to form an airtight seal.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

For added security,use bolts and nuts to secure the plywood into a 2x mounted inside across the windows.