+ Reply to Thread

Default Wine Cooler Cabinet

Hello!

I bought my fiance a wine cooler that he is converting into a humidor for his cigars. Because the size of our apartment and the fact that it was built in 1910, there really is no place to store it (until we renovate our kitchen someday). Right now, it's in the basement, but as winter approaches, it will be too cold to keep down there. I have relented in bringing it upstairs to be placed in the dining room, under the condition that we build a cabinet for it to be housed in. Since there is an original built-in cabinet in the dining room already, I would like it to look as though it was always there, though I know the stainless steel door will obviously show and want to keep with the style of the apartment (my fiance actually grew up in the same apartment). It's only a 20 bottle cooler, so it should be able to slide in the cabinet fairly easily. Having built radiator covers, benches, mudroom closets, I feel this is something we could tackle.

Any thoughts/suggestions/ideas on where to start, would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Gepetto; 12-02-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added Pic

Default Re: Wine Cooler Cabinet

If you have the tools and abilities, then all you have to do is jump in and build what you want. If you don't have these things, then you'll have to find a shop that will custom build something for you.

As for what to build, if you want it to blend into the environment, then you need to take visual cues from the environment and incorporate them into the cabinet. This might be trim details, panel style, paint color, etc. For period correct trim, look at salvage shops.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Wine Cooler Cabinet

Can you upload some photos so we can see what you're trying to match?