+ Reply to Thread

Default Hole in bathroom floor

Any advice on best way to fill a hole in my bathroom floor?

I pulled up the 60's era blue tile to find original white tile underneath. In one area, the original tile was loose so I pulled it up to reveal a hole filled with crumbling old cement? Plaster? Whatever it was they laid down as the subfloor to the first layer of tile.

My question: can I just fill the hole with piece of wood, use spray foam around it, trim when dry, and then proceed with the leveling underlayment? Will the underlayment react badly with the dried foam? I don't want to use anything too wet or heavy in the hole as the kitchen ceiling drywall is directly underneath it.

Ideas welcome! And pictures attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Hole in bathroom floor

To do it right, you need to cut the subfloor to the nearest two joists, then install a new piece of matching subfloor that will extend between the two joists and nail it to the joists. No glue, no cement, no fillers, no foam.

i 100% agree with dj.....do it right the first time, it will take you about 5 minutes your way and about 10-15 minutes the right way......time well spent

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    To do it right, you need to cut the subfloor to the nearest two joists, then install a new piece of matching subfloor that will extend between the two joists and nail it to the joists. No glue, no cement, no fillers, no foam.
    Is it possible that there isn't really a subfloor? Can you see from the photo of just the hole that it goes pretty deep until there are two boards. I can't tell whether the old concrete or whatever it is is the original material that they tiled on top of or something that someone else used to try to patch it.

Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    i 100% agree with dj.....do it right the first time, it will take you about 5 minutes your way and about 10-15 minutes the right way......time well spent
    Thank you. I want to do it right! I measured -- There's about 2.5 inches of old crumbly concrete stuff between the tile layer and the boards in the photo. They're below the board that I think is the joist.

what you have is about 1-1/2" - 2" of old concrete under your tile and on top of your sub floor. the sub floor is the two pieces of wood with the gap between the pieces.

my advice is to remove the entire floor, leave the sub floor. install plywood and hardibacker over the subfloor to bring it back up to the level of the top of the concrete. if you do want to just fill in your "hole" with concrete as it sits right now, you could do so but it's not the way i would do it.

Here's something else you can do: post your photos on johnbridgetileforum.com and get some constructive suggestions from floor contractors.

Tell them Houston sent you. Also tell them that Houston is waiting for the pecan pie (referral fee).