+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sill Plate

Default Sill Plate

Need to replace an 8" x 8" x 16 foot sill plate - any suggestions?

Default Re: Sill Plate

i do those all the time. what kind of advice are you looking for? do you have any pictures of the portion that has to be replaced?

Pacific Northwet

Sounds like you'll need some jacks and temporary beams. Is this over crawl space or over a basement?

The jacks will need a large plate to sit on -- either a steel plate 1" thick and at least 1.5' x 1.5' or a beam at least 4"x6" and 4 feet long or a large concrete pier block. (Basically, you should have about 2 square feet of surface area on the soil.)

Then you'll need a beam under the joists to jack against, placed parallel to the sill, leaving enough clearance to work on the sill. You'll probably need a steel plate between the jack head and the temporary beam, otherwise you'll probably just drive the jack into the wood.

You'll need several jacks. Try to raise them as evenly as possible. Only jack just enough to get the old sill out and the new sill in. You'll probably end up with some sheetrock or plaster damage. Watch your jacks carefully -- any signs of the jacks tipping could lead to catastrophic collapse or forceful ejection of the jack.

Depending on the age of the house, you may need to have a sill plate custom-milled to the proper dimensions -- stock lumber sizes now are different than they used to be.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 12-01-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

This job is not for the DIY, and since we don't know anything about you, I will assume that you will need to call a few general contractors for estimates.

You can read about the process, you can even watch videos on how it's done, but if you lack the proper qualifications don't attempt to do it alone. Call licensed GCs.

If you don't feel fully comfortable doing this, call in some contractors for quotes. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Watch your jacks carefully -- any signs of the jacks tipping could lead to catastrophic collapse or forceful ejection of the jack.
    I still have a dent in my hard head from a jack that tilted out without my knowledge which allowed a post to "forcefully eject" itself, as Fencepost so nicely put it. It kicked like a mule and darn near knocked me out cold. I've also dropped a house or two doing this exact job, very scary and potentially catastrophic. You don't need that happening so again: if you're not comfortable doing this, don't!

Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 12-02-2013 at 04:21 PM.