+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Caulk Where Backsplash Meets Wall?

I'd tell you the secret but then I'd have to kill you (using my ancient all-metal cylindrical bulk-loaded 1-quart caulking gun with screw-on tips- once I get the d#&% plunger seal cleaned up from the last use that is!)

Phil

Now that's just wrong. If you're gonna recommend using the nasty stuff, the least you can do is tell her the secret to laying a good bead (for a novice ). Don't make me do it, I'll do it, you know I will!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Look at post #3 on this matter. I gave a link to a tutorial on caulking.

Quite thorough and very humorous, if I do say so myself.

Indeed. Thanks again!

---JC

Since Phil won't tell you the secret, here ya go. If you mist the surface of the silicone bead BEFORE you lay it off, the silicone won't stick to the surrounding surfaces. You still have to work carefully, but it is far more docile and easier with this method than laying lines of tape.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks Spruce- I got lost in my sordid sense of humor and forgot to finish with that It does help a lot- especially with deep grouted tiles- but I still tape and cut where I can. I'm a maniac for dead-straight lines where I an get them

Phil

Tape?!?!?! Ain't nobody got time for dat!

I hear ya, I'm a bit of a perfectionist myself, and where we are well versed with something, such as caulking in general, especially when using silicone, we take for granted our knowledge of working with the products and forget that a DIY'r isn't going to have the same skill set, eye for detail, or patience that we tend to do. That's why it is good for us to offer tips to ease their pain and promote a professional level finish.

I had the same problem in San Antonio where there is tons of humidity and mold.

I found sanded caulk in the same color as my grout. Because it is sanded it looks like the grout, but is still waterproof, flexible and mold resistant like caulk.

Putting it under the backsplash sounds good. I have a quartz countertop with glass tile, and the silicone caulk is where the two meet. There, it picks up dirt and just looks bad. I need to remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Silicone can be a bugger to remove, but it's my choice for these applications. Those of us in the business here on this forum are pretty evenly split on the silicone vs acrylic latex debate

When I install this kind of backsplash, I lay a healthy bead of silicone under the backsplash to seal it, making sure that none extrudes to where you'd see it in front for appearances sake, and all the professional countertop guys here do exactly the same thing (save for one who epoxies this joint!). So while it may appear that it isn't sealed it very well could be. You can test it by having someone splash water against it while someone is underneath in the cabinets with a light (and a towel just in case) looking for leaks. No leaks = no need for further caulking. If you caulk one done like this anyway, you'll create a dead-air space which if any moisture gets in, will likely grow moldy and odorous so don't just caulk, test it first- then caulk only if it's needed.

(and use silicone)
    Phil