+ Reply to Thread

Default What is this tool

Have been asked to identify this tool

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: What is this tool

not positive but i think it's the same thing my dentist used on me when he filled a cavity i had last week

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    not positive but i think it's the same thing my dentist used on me when he filled a cavity i had last week
    Don't even get me started! I just had a prostate exam last week, and I'm quite certain this is what was used! <wink>

What an odd device, the physics of which I haven't quite figured out, no clamping device, yet the handle affair indicates a means of applying pressure so that the crank (which appears to be attached to a cutting device ) can screw inward.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

can you ask if there's a name on it? patent number? any other info?

the long handle below the crank looks like it might be to put it in or out of gear. is there a drill bit or masonry bit on the tip? can't tell....also wondering about the butterfly nut by the bit. looks like it might be some type of depth stop for that one tooth that sticks out.

A WAG, but I think it was used to cut a saddle radius in the end of some kind of tubing. There is a cutter, and half of the clamp used to secure the tubing. Picture the clamp rotated 90*
    For making bamboo furniture?
    The cutter is spring fed, the handle apparently is for withdrawing it when the cut is complete.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

He says there is no name or patent no. on it that he can find.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

What I can see:

-The depth stop by the crank handle can be set, but looks like it's not a regular adjustment.
    -The wing-nut be the 'cutter' adjusts the diameter via the slot in it.
    -The pivoting rear handle is for applying pressure and to possibly engage hidden advancement threads for the cutter as the crank is turned. (This thread pitch might provide a clue to it's use)
    -The "C" shaped 'saddle', if turned 90 degrees, could be used to align and center on a cylindrical surface, but it looks like doing that would interfere with the 'cutter' blade. Again it's depth adjustment seems to be set one time and left.
    -The center bit appears to be carbide, like a masonry drill. Perhaps it is a replacement and the original was another type?
    -The 'cutter' doesn't show up too well in the pic, but it appears that it is either a simple single 'saw tooth' or may have something on it's tip. It appears to be a stamping so it wouldn't be terribly strong so it couldn't accept much pressure without bending. It's maximum and minimum size may also help identify it. If there's an edged roller on the tip then perhaps this is for cutting glass, but then why the "C" shaped 'saddle'?

Otherwise I'm as lost as the rest of us. I've never seen anything like it and I am familiar with tools used in machine work, residential and commercial building trades, furniture making, welding tools, automotive-motorcycle-marine tools, and electronic tools. The closest thing I've seen were tubing drills and notchers for fabricating assemblies using pipe, but they were a lot different and a lot heavier duty than this.

Whoever gets this also gets my thanks for an education!
    Phil