+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Help needed wiring 2 3-way switches with 2 lights

Hi there,
    This is Stelian.
    I'm working at an old house and I want to re-wire 2 3-way switches with 2 lights to work simultaneously.
    The job is on the staircase, there is a light and a switch downstairs and a light and a switch upstairs.
    The source comes in the same box with the switch number I. From the same box a 3 wire cable (ground not included) goes to the other box. From box II/switch II a 2 wire cable goes to the light II.
    I know that the lights should be linked together as all the diagrams found on the internet.
    I believe my issue is unique because I can't find the standard wiring diagram.

Thank you for any suggestions,
    Stelian

Default Re: Help needed wiring 2 3-way switches with 2 lights

It should be this diagram

(1). Start with a 14/2 wire into switch 1. Hot to the switch 1 and neutral to by pass switch 1.

(2). Use a 14/3 wire: Hot black and red hot from switch 1 to switch 2 , neutral (which by passed switch 1) to connect with neutral from (1).

(3). From switch 2 continue with a new 14/2 wire: one end from switch 2 to both lights. The neutral in this wire will go from the neutral of the 14/3 wire to the lights.

You might want to file this for future reference http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/3...ch_wiring.html

I would guess what you didn't mention is a 2 conductor cable going from light II to Light I.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you all,
    Everybody is giving me the same solution, although I specified that I don't have a wire between the lights and I don't want to break the wall to wire another cable.
    My query was simple: how to do it in the situation I described, without the lights to be linked together?

There is no way unless the switch sending the power to the lights has a wire for each light

Quote Originally Posted by Stelian View Post
    Thank you all,
    Everybody is giving me the same solution, although I specified that I don't have a wire between the lights and I don't want to break the wall to wire another cable.
    My query was simple: how to do it in the situation I described, without the lights to be linked together?
    Can't be done the way you are asking.

A couple of questions. In box one do you have 2 cond power, 3 cond going to switch box 2, and 2 cond going to downstairs light? In switch box 1 & 2 how are the 3 conductors connected? Wit the right answer I can give you a drawing I think will work.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Stelian, there is a high tech way to do what you wish using a wireless 3 way switches. http://www.amazon.com/SK-8-Wireless-...s+3-way+switch
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Stelian View Post
    Hi there,
    This is Stelian.
    I'm working at an old house and I want to re-wire 2 3-way switches with 2 lights to work simultaneously.
    The job is on the staircase, there is a light and a switch downstairs and a light and a switch upstairs.
    The source comes in the same box with the switch number I. From the same box a 3 wire cable (ground not included) goes to the other box. From box II/switch II a 2 wire cable goes to the light II.
    I know that the lights should be linked together as all the diagrams found on the internet.
    I believe my issue is unique because I can't find the standard wiring diagram.

Thank you for any suggestions,
    Stelian
    I don't understand how light I is wired in.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.