+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot water hammering

We were absent from our home for 4 months. When we returned, we notice the kitchen faucet 'hammers' when the hot water is on full, creating an effect like a massage shower head. This usually occurs when we use the kitchen faucet hot water on full, but recently woke us in the middle of the night when the outdoor sprinkler system came on, and the refrigerator water line began hammering. The house is 13 years old, the hot water heater was replaced 7 months ago, but this problem only started when we returned from our long absence.
    I have read about 'air hammering' in pipes, but this isnt exactly that...it's this staccato high frequency high pressure water massage in the kitchen.
    anyone got any clues?

Default Re: Hot water hammering

Install water hammer arrestors on your kitchen supply pipes and report back.

thanks,
    but....why would this problem just occur now? we've never had an issue before. and what caused the hammering in the other (refrigerator) line when the sprinklers came on. i agree it would seem there is air in the system, but is it purely co-incidental that this hammering only started after the house was shut down for a couple months...?

Water hammer can result from sudden water movement in the pipes, and in your case, it's the sprinklers coming on, Even if it never used to happen and all of a sudden it starts now.

So what can you do now? try to eliminate it with an arrestor. If that doesn't work, try other avenues.

You have to understand that our suggestions are based on things we've done in the past, without inspecting your particular symptoms.

Does this faucet have a built-in sprayer separate from the spout? If so, the problem is in the diverter built into the faucet. Some are replaceable, but if you were thinking of a new faucet in the future, I'd just do that instead.

The reason it happens only on hot is either the cold has less flow or the heat is causing the diverter mechanism to bind. I've seen this a lot- I usually just replace the faucet if it's old.

Phil

You may have had air get into the lines from construction in the area, at the water treatment plant, anywhere.

I would shut off the water line and open all the taps, faucets ect. drain the water lines completely. then close everything and then open the water line. This will recharge all shock absorbers that are water logged. if the problem persist look at diagram in ballcocks or loose washers on spindles. also is the pressure inside your house under 60 lbs. may be a prv is required.