+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Moving cabinet handles from the CENTER to the corner

Kevinw,

Door skins are made to repair doors. They are very thin plywood, about 1/8 inch, with a good veneer surface. They are slightly larger than 36 inch by slight longer than a typical 6 foot 8 inch door. Any good lumberyard that does a pro trade will either have them or can order them for you. They are relatively easy to work with, far more so than working with veneer, and for what ever reason are cheaper than the same area of veneer.

Years ago I refaced all the ugly, dark luan mahogany doors in my house with oak door skins. I got it down to about an hour per door using contact cement and using a laminate trimmer to trim the edges and plunge route the passage lock hole. I veneered the jambs and replaced all the casings and stops with solid oak. When done, it was just about impossible to tell that they were not original. OK, I am a nut, but it was easier than replacing all the wallpapers in the house that abutted the doors.

Anyway, given the manner in which your panels are fastened in, it would be a piece of cake to replace with a similar piece of virgin oak plywood or doorskins.

Another thought, since the panels are easily removeable, is to cover them with a commercial quality vinyl wall covering. You would only need to clean and scuff sand the panel, apply a pre-wallpapering bonding agent and hang the wallcovering directly on the old panels with a heavy, pre-mixed "clay paste", available at any good paint store.
    Such commercial grade wallcoverings usually come in 54 inch widths and in hundreds of patterns and faux finishes, such as leatherette etc. This route would probably cost under $200 in materials and require almost no special tools, just a wide blade spackle knife for smoothing and some single edge razor blades. Roll the paste on with a small trim roller.

Just some possible alternatives.

Kevin,

Just one more observation: Just my opinion, but if you go through with replacing the panels and need to varnish the panels, consider lowering the sheen of the varnish on the new panels and the existing door frames and base cabinets. The high gloss just highlights the grainy nature of oak. I think they would look nicer with a satin varnish.

If you choose some type of contrasting panel which does not need varnish, consider using spray cans of varnish for the existing frames. They are quick drying and will leave a brush free surface. They will also lend themselves to using them a little at a time as you work your way through the kitchen. A brush would have to be constantly cleaned out or wrapped up tightly. Liquid varnishes also lose their solvents when opened repeatedly, the spray cans retain theirs. MinWax in the spray cans is an excellent product, easier to use than the brushing version.

Bondo and paint. That era of dark stained oak gets no respect, deservedly so. White paint, or off-white is desirable, maybe an umber or Van Dyke Brown glaze to highlight all that molding; Then would be more in accordance with current trends.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

the self sticking veneer can be purchased at any cabinet shop or bought ******. most cabinet shops will have to order it. you can get it in almost any type of wood.

Thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate the feedback. You all really know your stuff. Once I figure out the option we go with, I will report back and post progress pics.

Thanks again. This forum is a g o l d mine of good advice.

thanks a lot

Quote Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
    Thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate the feedback. You all really know your stuff. Once I figure out the option we go with, I will report back and post progress pics.

Thanks again. This forum is a g o l d mine of good advice.
    Hello,

I was searching the internet for the exact same problem in my kitchen that you have (actually our kitchens look very similar). I have been looking for a fix for the cabinet handles and I was wondering what you decided to do with your cabinets and would you mind sharing advice and maybe even some before and after pictures. Got to love the 70's right? Thanks so much.

When you remove the hardware, fill in the hole with paintable wood putty or glue. Using as small amount as possible. Then when dry use a paint stain pen as close a match to original color and fill in putty spot. It will look like a grainy part of the wood and hardly noticeable. Good luck!