+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vibrating pipe

Default Vibrating pipe

For the last 2 months, after flushing 1 toilet in the house, i've been hearing a loud vibration/hum in wall near toilet for 5 seconds directly after the bowl has stopped filling. i have a town water supply with no other plumbing problems. i did have a water hammer problem in 1 shower which i remedied by closing main valve to house, opening or flushing all fixtures, then opening main valve again. this solved hammer problem in the shower but did not solve vibration in toilet pipe. should i try draining the system again & do something different with the toilet besides flushing it once? when draining the system, does it matter that i have a forced hot water heating system in the house? b/c the heating pipes were not included in the draining process.
    i have 3 toilets in the house & 2 of them are in back to back bathrooms & all share 1 vent. last year i replaced 1 of the back to back toilets but the new toilet is NOT the one vibrating, no problem with the new toilet. the vibrating toilet is back to back, about 20 years old, on 2nd floor so no access to pipes behind finished walls, & is working fine other than the vibrating pipe. could it have anything to do with the outside temperature change due to the approaching winter season? it has been in the 30 degree range at night, but the vibration occurs throughout the day when it is 50 degrees outside. the thermostat has remained at 60 degrees for inside house temperature.
    is it a water pressure issue? a temperature issue? a vent issue?
    if the vibration is just an annoying noise & is not doing any damage or will not lead to some failure elsewhere, then i can live with a little vibration. otherwise i want to remedy this to avoid more issues. thanks

Default Re: Vibrating pipe

You can isolate toilet noises by dumping a bucket of water into the bowl to flush it. Since it's not filling, any noises heard then are drain-related. If no noises are heard then the issue is in the supply side. From your other issues it seems you have a water-hammer problem. First thing to do is check for excessive water pressure- if you have a regulator it may have gone bad. Second is to do as you did before turning off the main valve, but this time opening every faucet and flushing every toilet so that all the water in the pipes can drain down. If this doesn't fix it install a water-hammer arrestor. There are several kinds and the friendly folks at your local plumbing supply house will be glad to help you choose the right one as well as offer installation advice.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    You can isolate toilet noises by dumping a bucket of water into the bowl to flush it. Since it's not filling, any noises heard then are drain-related. If no noises are heard then the issue is in the supply side. From your other issues it seems you have a water-hammer problem. First thing to do is check for excessive water pressure- if you have a regulator it may have gone bad. Second is to do as you did before turning off the main valve, but this time opening every faucet and flushing every toilet so that all the water in the pipes can drain down. If this doesn't fix it install a water-hammer arrestor. There are several kinds and the friendly folks at your local plumbing supply house will be glad to help you choose the right one as well as offer installation advice.

Phil
    ok it is definitely a supply problem. i tried draining the system again but it didn't help. so i guess it is time to install a water-hammer arrestor. since i have no access panel to supply line behind finished wall, Can i install arrestor to supply line behind toilet since it is exposed & easy to access? Does the hammer do any damage to water lines? thanks

I'd start by flushing out the terlit fill valve assembly. Or replace it which might be faster / easier.

Quote Originally Posted by easyED View Post
    ok it is definitely a supply problem. i tried draining the system again but it didn't help. so i guess it is time to install a water-hammer arrestor. since i have no access panel to supply line behind finished wall, Can i install arrestor to supply line behind toilet since it is exposed & easy to access? Does the hammer do any damage to water lines? thanks
    The best place to install an arrestor is at the angle stop, in your situation. Depending on what type of pipes you have, you need to get the right kind, out of a few available.

Now, remember this: it may solve your problem but it also may not, if your assumption is incorrect.