+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What's a chassis?

So long as pull strain is otherwise accounted for and the heat won't be excessive, just fill the gap with hot glue while centering the wire. Use plenty so that it stays in place with the usual pulling and wiggling cords get subjected to.

Being a Ham Radio op, I know what a "chassis" is and I remember learning what a "Hot chassis" is the hard way...

Phil

Thanks everyone.

Phil, "hot chassis" aka "floating ground"? Been up close and personal with that, along with "inductive kick".

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Phil, "hot chassis" aka "floating ground"? Been up close and personal with that, along with "inductive kick".
    M-m-m-m-m-me too My old Ham rig has 2800 volts on the finals (and a lot elsewhere as well) so you learn to use a chicken-stick You learn, you WILL learn- it's only a question of HOW you learn! I learned from Old-Timers who regaled me with stories of waking up on the floor across the room from what they were working on, something I'd prefer to avoid! Perhaps you even know what an Isolation Transformer is.... another 'must-have' when working with the old stuff!

Phil

"Chicken stick"? Is that also known as a "Discharge Wand"? Basically a stick with a nail in the end and a ground strap that goes from the nail to a alligator clip or some other clamp that you clamp to an earth ground so you can safely check and dissipate any stored charge.

While working at the transformer company, I made a couple of these for the people that were testing the transformers. Sometimes the coils will store a charge on is inner winding to winding and inner layer to layer capacitance. A 2500 kVA can pack quite a wallop. I no more than made them, when one of the repair guys came over to troubleshoot a failed transformer and inadvertently gave a live, and very convincing, lesson on why this stick is a good idea.

I told him that I had learned that lesson the hard way too.