+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laundry Drain

Default Laundry Drain

The drain in my laundry room is seeping out a horrible smell, I have tried stuffing a cloth in there but the smell keeps coming through.
    The house is only a few years old, Im wondering if the plumbers forgot to install a exhaust pipe of some sort.
    is this a easy fix or should I have someone come out and look at it ?

Default Re: Laundry Drain

It sounds like the trap dried out. The trap prevents sewer gas from entering the home. Just pour a couple of cups of water into the drain.
    John

is this a front load washer, and are you new to front load washers? It could be a dry trap, but if you've been using the washer, then that is not likely the cause unless you've got a damaged drain that is leaking water out of the trap, hence the smell. If it is a front load washer, then it could easily be the washer itself. The seal around the door holds moisture, and if you don't leave the door open after each use to dry, the resulting trapped moisture causes a mildew/sewer odor.

Please give us more information and be as thorough and specific as possible about your use of the machine and when you notice the odor.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce I think he is talking about a floor drain in the laundry room not the drain for the washer.
    John

I don't think that the original plumber "forgot" to install a vent, or he couldn't have passed inspection. Look on the roof above the laundry to locate the vent.

It's most likely the trap. Locate it and check it for leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    is this a front load washer, and are you new to front load washers? It could be a dry trap, but if you've been using the washer, then that is not likely the cause unless you've got a damaged drain that is leaking water out of the trap, hence the smell. If it is a front load washer, then it could easily be the washer itself. The seal around the door holds moisture, and if you don't leave the door open after each use to dry, the resulting trapped moisture causes a mildew/sewer odor.

Please give us more information and be as thorough and specific as possible about your use of the machine and when you notice the odor.
    It is a front load washer, at first that was what I thought it was but after investigating I realized the smell was coming from the drain in the wall that the washer drain spills into. The odor has been going on for a while and it seems to be getting worse. The keep the door open after each wash and also keep it clean. When I put my hand up tot the main drain I can feel the air seeping out of it. Iím attaching a picture

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I don't think that the original plumber "forgot" to install a vent, or he couldn't have passed inspection. Look on the roof above the laundry to locate the vent.

It's most likely the trap. Locate it and check it for leaks.
    That was my thought that they forgot to install a vent so I will get on the roof this weekend and check it out.

sorry, Im unable to upload any pictures to this site regardless of how small they are.

What do you have the rage stuffed in, the washer drain or a floor drain?
    John

I wish I could upload a photo for you, but this site sucks when it comes to that.
    Here are all the details.
    This is a front load washer, I have a grey hose coming from the back of the washer to a box in the wall, in that box are my water connection and a drain line where I put the hose from the washer, it is that hole where I put the grey hose, the smell is coming from the hole in the box that my grey hose goes to

This is the best link I can get in here:
    http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/buy***...sher_WF1752WPW
    if you look at the back of the washer that is the grey hose Iím referring to, if I put my nose up to the wall drain that is where the smell is coming from.
    I hate to pull out the washer and tear into the wall to see what the plumbers forgot but it looks like that may have to happen.
    If I do tear into the wall how should it look?
    I stuffed a rag around the hoses on the drain to help block the smell but that was not successful.
    I also have a floor drain that I need to check also now that you mention it.

I hope this helps