+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Latex HVLP spraying

Ok, I've decided to take the plunge and purchase an Earlex HV5500 paint sprayer. I will be working with latex for my first project. I am concerned about thinning the paint and achieving a really level finish without losing the gloss. I am using Sherwin Williams Pro Classic latex enamel (white semi gloss). How do others achieve a pro finish with latex ( i.e. add flotrol and water...) Please don't advise me to use oil based paint, i've already primed using a latex primer...

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

central pa

Default Re: Latex HVLP spraying

what are you painting to start with? usually just some flotrol will work but I don't know about with your sprayer. if it is cabinetry what I do is spray a thinned down coat of flat or satin latex and then spray a coat of water based clearcoat. just make sure your clearcoat is actually clear and it is non yellowing

Default Re: Latex HVLP spraying

If you're new to this, practice on something else with the products you intend to use until you find the results you're seeking. My won HVLP experience is rather limited but I did find it easier to use than a conventional sprayer as the paint flow was slower and easier to control thickness of the application with.