+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I use thinset on plaster?

Hello I am remodeling my bathroom (circa 1935). I am wondering if I can use modified thinset 1/4 inch deep to bring the thickness of the gypsum plaster to the same thickness as the mud bed plaster that is below it which had tile on it. I am putting new tile on the bathroom walls (3x6). This is plaster on brick exterior walls. I want to tile about 22 inches higher than what was there and the gypsum plaster is about a quarter inch thinner that the mud bed where the old tile was. The plaster is painted and in good condition with out peeling or crumbling. FYI this is not in a wet area I took it to stud and used durarock with a membrane in the shower.
    Thanks
    Last edited by cef; 11-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Default Re: Can I use thinset on plaster?

Not advisable. A better way is to thin set the tiles onto Cement Board (CBU).

Go to Johnbridgetileforum - you'll find answers to all your tile questions. Tell them that Houston sent you.

WHat DJ said.

Thanks, I have decided to go up only 6 inches ilo the 22. What would be the best way to attach the backer board? I am not sure how strong screws would be since it is approx 3/4 of an inch of plaster on brick. Could I use thinset to attach the backer board to the plaster?
    Thanks

All cement based backerboard manufacturers require mechanical attachment with fasteners as per their installation instructions which will spell out the types of fasteners and the spacing.

You can post pictures of your project at the John Bridge Tile Forum. Seriously. Go there. They're nice guys. For the most part.