+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Toilet choice and costs

Hello:

I need/want to replace the 3 toilets in my house. They are constantly having flushing issues (1-2x week).
    I live in Northern Virginia.

My plumber who I trust has recommended the following toilet so that all 3 toilets are the same.
    Gerber Avalanche (one 10 in(needs to be ordered) and two 12 in rough in). Round bowl (small bathrooms) and comfort height.

Cost for toilet and installation and parts for the first toilet is 450.
    The second two toilets will cost 350 each.

a) What is the general consensus for the Avalanche?
    b) Does the cost seem reasonable?

Thanks for any advice.,.

bg

Default Re: Toilet choice and costs

Best toilets in my opinion. Toto, Kohler and American Standard in that order. Gerber is a builders grade toilet. You are also mistaken in the fact that the comfort height toilet is round front. They are only available in elongated bowls.
    John

I am wishing you never said that. I thought this was going to be the end. Are there any Gerbers that are not builder grade.

My plumber also recommended a kohler - Cimarron. However there are two toilets on the top floor.
    One is 10 in and the other is 12 in. He said that the kohler - Cimarron does not come in a 10 in rough in.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Bg

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Best toilets in my opinion. Toto, Kohler and American Standard in that order. Gerber is a builders grade toilet. You are also mistaken in the fact that the comfort height toilet is round front. They are only available in elongated bowls.
    One more question. What exactly do you mean by builders grade? Is it going to fall apart fast, not flush, back up, etc?

Thanks
    bg

"Builder's grade" refers to fixtures many builders install. They are considered middle of the road, definitely not inferior quality.

Look at this this way: no matter how much you spend, you can end up with a lemon. I have Mansfields that out performed Kohlers at half the price.

Now to your prices: $1,150 for 3 Gerber toilets installed is within the acceptable range. However, see if your trusty plumber is willing to give you an additional discount.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    "Builder's grade" refers to fixtures many builders install. They are considered middle of the road, definitely not inferior quality.

Look at this this way: no matter how much you spend, you can end up with a lemon. I have Mansfields that out performed Kohlers at half the price.

Now to your prices: $1,150 for 3 Gerber toilets installed is within the acceptable range. However, see if your trusty plumber is willing to give you an additional discount.
    When I hear builders grade I always equate to junk. I got a little freaked to the reference to that. I definitely do not want
    top and not bottom. What I really want is a toilet that is not going to get clogged for no reason and can handle a normal load.
    But of course I would like it to last for a long time. I asked for a discount if he did all 3 and he knocked 100 of the 2&3 installs.
    I know he is still making out good. Not sure how best to get a lower price without offending him and not being unfair. Since I do not know what he is getting the toilets for I cannot really judge what might be an acceptable counter offer.

Bg

I understand that all you want is peace of mind and trouble free toilets - you can still have all these with inexpensive toilets. Junk toilets are the ones selling for $50 at HD. And even those can surprisingly last a long time.

As I told you before, I've had mansfields (less than $100) last me over 20 years. Installation is a two hour job, per toilet, on the average ($150-$200). So do the math. There are dozens of other brands in this range, some of them are very dependable.

To be honest with you, you can get a lower price, if you shop around, but if you don't give your plumber the job, he'll ignore you if you call him with a plumbing problem in the future. Still, $1,150 is on the high side, but is acceptable. It's your call. And your money.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    You are also mistaken in the fact that the comfort height toilet is round front. They are only available in elongated bowls.
    True for Gerber.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...177),&t=3&r=25

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    To be honest with you, you can get a lower price, if you shop around, but if you don't give your plumber the job, he'll ignore you if you call him with a plumbing problem in the future. Still, $1,150 is on the high side, but is acceptable. It's your call. And your money.
    At $288 ea at Home Depot, I think her plumber is not too high.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

bg