+ Reply to Thread

Default Leave or remove storm doors

Hi All,
    I am going to be replacing 2 sliding doors that are original to my house (Built in 1975.) The doors themselves are aluminum double paned, and then they both have external sliding, single paned storm doors on them.

My question is, is there any benefit of refitting the storm doors over the new sliders?

I live on the North Shore of Boston so winter weather is a factor. I also live on a semi exposed hillside, but the wind does not usually blow directly at these doors.

For what it's worth, there was one slider already replaced by the previous owner, and they did not re-fit the storm door that was originally there. Because this door is not visible to the other doors, you would not notice that two have a storm door, and the other does not.

If I did re-fit the storm doors, I would have to paint (and maintain the paint) on the frames as they are brown, where the new door is white

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Leave or remove storm doors

Quote Originally Posted by bustedwheel View Post
    Hi All,
    I am going to be replacing 2 sliding doors that are original to my house (Built in 1975.) The doors themselves are aluminum double paned, and then they both have external sliding, single paned storm doors on them.

My question is, is there any benefit of refitting the storm doors over the new sliders?

I live on the North Shore of Boston so winter weather is a factor. I also live on a semi exposed hillside, but the wind does not usually blow directly at these doors.

For what it's worth, there was one slider already replaced by the previous owner, and they did not re-fit the storm door that was originally there. Because this door is not visible to the other doors, you would not notice that two have a storm door, and the other does not.

If I did re-fit the storm doors, I would have to paint (and maintain the paint) on the frames as they are brown, where the new door is white

Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi, As you've mention weather is a factor in your area so this generally implies safety choices with regards to this storm doors. If you have it re-fit maintenance is an issue though a more applicable thing to do also is contact someone experts in terms of the whole status of doors.

Pete

Keep them.

Word of caution here. Some new door manufacturers will void the warrantee if you install storm doors over them. I don't know why they do this, but they do. I had this issue with the new back door I bought, but in may case, I decided the need for the storm door outweighed the need for a three year warrantee on the door. I have never seen a door wear out in three years.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Word of caution here. Some new door manufacturers will void the warrantee if you install storm doors over them. I don't know why they do this, but they do. I had this issue with the new back door I bought, but in may case, I decided the need for the storm door outweighed the need for a three year warrantee on the door. I have never seen a door wear out in three years.
    They are worried about excessive heat build-up warping the door or causing laminates to detach. This is also why you should never paint or stain the outside of an exterior door a dark color

Phil

The original storm doors were probably there to the extremely poor insulating value of old aluminum sliding doors. The slider frames in my Chicago home would freeze up in very cold weather, then melt all over the floor when a quick warm up occurred. I replaced that door with a Pella aluminum clad, wooden door with low_E glass. What a difference!
    Pella always puts the sliding panel on the outside so that wind blowing against it actually tightens the seal.

If your new doors are plastic or clad in plastic, definitely DON'T use the old storms. PVC plastic can start distorting at as little as 130 degrees, a temperature easily reached by air trapped between a storm and the inner door. I have seen plastic decorative trim actually melt and droop on a metal door which had a full glass storm infront of it!

At one time, I had considered getting plastic replacement windows for my house. I though that I would be able to retain my relatively new aluminum storms. The salesman warned against doing that, as the heat build up would warp the replacement windows.

I have read it is damaging to put storm windows over double pained windows (I thought it had to do with moisture?) so maybe it's also bad for doors.