+ Reply to Thread

Default Wainscot Paneling Around Kitchen Island

Hello all, I'm going to wrap my kitchen island in wainscot paneling using poplar. The panels will be subjected to a lot of scuffing and traffic and will be cleaned regularly. Also, one side of the island has bar stools for sitting. I have kids and imagine it will receive a beating from my kids little feet. I need advice on what paint to choose. I'm am a great finish carpenter but a terrible painter. I am looking for a semigloss paint, preferably latex, for convenience.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Wainscot Paneling Around Kitchen Island

An alkyd paint should wear well, make sure that if your poplar wainscot is bare wood that you prime it before you paint it. I would also recommend a paint dealer such as Kelly Moore over big box fair.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

OK, thank you. I will look into alkyd paints. Would you recommend Sherwin Williams? I have dealt with them in the past and have one nearby. Also, will the usual latex compatible primer be used with an alkyd paint?

SW makes very good paints too.

But how about wrapping your kids' feet with some rags so that when they kick, there is no damage to the paint? just kidding of course.

Sherwin Williams paint is good too. I would recommend using the primer suggested by the dealer, not that they have superior grades of primer, just that they should know what works best with their products. My Kelly Moore dealer usually recommends Zinnser Bull's Eye 123 in most applications, as it is just as good KM's much more expensive house brand of primer. This tidbit comes from the KM dealer directly. Regardless, read the label of the primer to make sure it is suitable for the purpose you intend, if you have questions, either ask the dealer or go on-line to the manufacturer for clarification.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!