+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bath drain size

Default Bath drain size

I need to replace my corroded bath drain so bought a new one but it does not fit. The new one measures 1.75" in diameter where it threads to the bath drain but the old one measured 1.5". I thought these fitting had a standard size so can someone explain this? The specs on the new one say 1.5" but it definitely measures more.

Default Re: Bath drain size

We can't guess what you have. You need to disassemble it, then take it to a plumbing supply store. They should be able to match it exactly.

Most newer drains are 1 1/2", but some are 1 1/4". Many of the old "claw foot" tubs used an 1 3/8" drain which has become something of a specialty item that many plumbing suppliers don't stock but can order for you.

About half of what I know about plumbing was from advice given at plumbing supply store counters. You'll never get that from a clerk at a 'big box' store so if you're going to become a DIY'er, make friends with your local professional trade suppliers- it's time well spent!

Phil

Drain pipes are measured in nominal sizes not actual sizes. Take the pipe to a plumbing store and they will tell you what you have.

I'd be willing to bet its 1.5 inches

True- Pipe size is "nominal" but usually the measurement you see is so close to a nominal size that you will know what you've got. Taking a sample along to match is always a good idea with anything as it avoids the chance of at least some potential mistakes!

And a hint for the more advanced DIY'ers:

Pipe is measured by inside diameter, tubing is measured by outside diameter, so look for the name and that will tell you where to measure.

Phil

Drain and water pipes are always measured on the inside diameter. until you get to 12 inch pipe then on the outside diameter.