+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Fencing

Default Cedar Fencing

Is it better to oil a cedar fence or to stain it? I've heard that if you oil it, the wood won't split as quickly and it will last longer than staining every 2-3 years.

Thanks.

Default Re: Cedar Fencing

if you use an oil based stain (best in my book) then you get the best of both worlds.

A friend was telling me her and her husband just oiled their cedar fence (no stain) 9 years ago and they haven't had a bad board and they've only had to oil it one other time in that 9 year time frame. She says aftera few years she needs to power wash it because it gets a little "black", but the maintenance is nearly nothing.

Is there just an oil out there to use instead of an oil/stain or just stain?

Thanks!

If your mind is set on oil only, make sure it contains linseed oil.

Otherwise, go with Houston's recommendation, or simply ask your friends what they use.

BTW, depending where their fence is located, 9 years seems a bit unreal. Remember, a fence is a helpless structure that takes a beating, year after year.

If you read the results from the independent testing services, pigmented stains always out perform the clear oil versions. It is the pigment in stain which primarily blocks the UV rays of the sun. The more pigment, the better the protection.

Clear oils will certainly help slow down the cracking, greying and drying of the cedar, however, eventually it will still do so. Tinted stains will give more protection, but again, it will be a continuing maintenance chore.

Cedar is one of those woods that are inherently rot resistant. I don't thnk I have ever seen a rotten cedar fence, other than where the wood slats were allowed to come in contact with the earth.

I have over 250 feet of cedar shadow board cedar fence, which I inherited when I bought my house. It was badly greyed at 6 years of age. I spent a whole day cleaning it with a chemical deck cleaner, which contained oxalic acid, and a pressure washer. One thing nice about rough cut cedar is that you can be more aggressive with the pressure washer than with smooth cedar. This revived its natural cedar tone. I have chosen to merely clean the fence every other year and after 14 years, it still looks fine.

Staining is time consuming and requires considerable materials expense. It delays the periodic maintenance, but that labor and expense will have to be repeated every several years. Fortunately, verticle fence boards hold up much, much better than cedar decking boards, which requires much more frequent maintenance.

We had cedar fencing earlier. They were very high in terms of maintenance and then we contacted one vendor from Santa Ana area named Budget fence and they offered us a free estimate of vinyl fences. We ordered them then and there and we got the best results that we never had expected from them. These fences were really good and also very low on maintenance. I would suggest you to try out installing vinyl fences. They are good in terms of appearance and also in terms to care & maintenance required.

Quote Originally Posted by robertmatheka View Post
    We had cedar fencing earlier. They were very high in terms of maintenance and then we contacted one vendor from Santa Ana area named Budget fence and they offered us a free estimate of vinyl fences. We ordered them then and there and we got the best results that we never had expected from them. These fences were really good and also very low on maintenance. I would suggest you to try out installing vinyl fences. They are good in terms of appearance and also in terms to care & maintenance required.
    Cedar fences are way superior to vinyl fences. Initial cost and durability are the two main reasons. Vinyl fences cost more, dry out and start cracking in a few years, Also, vinyl fences are not exactly "maintenance free".

Also a matter of taste. "Plastic" fences,as I call them,because that's what they look like. Look cheap to me as compared to wood.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and advice. I have made the decision to go with dog-eared 6' cedar and to use a oil-based stain. I am set for installation mid-December provided the weather cooperates for the concrete work.

I am at least putting in cedar along the alley and the border to my neighbor to the south. My neighbors to the north haven't decided yet but are leaning towards vinyl. It is only about a 20' area that would be vinyl and I am fine with that...besides the fact that we will split the cost 50/50.

Again, thank you!

Good choice.

Just one more thing before you go: have your installer install 3 horizontal member to which the dog ear boards will be attached (and use deck screws only, NO nails), for added strength.

Send pics.