+ Reply to Thread

Default Mysteriously hot floor in main bathroom!

tenant complains that water bill is unusually high and that bathroom floor is hot, the bathroom is located behind water heater which has been recently replaced, no visual leaks, water heater runs according to manufacture's specifications, floor does get hot only when hot water faucets are opened in the bathroom

Default Re: Mysteriously hot floor in main bathroom!

Sounds like the hot water pipes run under the floor, and are un-insulated. Heat rises....

You can fix this by;

1- Insulating the hot water pipe

2- Floor rug in the bathroom

3- Install a fake floor heat thermostat which they can play with thinking they are doing some good

4- New tenant.

Frank,

Reduce the hw temp, or leave it alone----you've discovered a low-cost radiant bathroom floor heat.

You'll make millions!

Google "A little floor warming, please" by Siegenthaler
    or "The plain vanilla system" by Gallipoli
    Last edited by Dobbs; 11-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Hot spot in floor and high water bill = leak in hot water line under slab. Turn off the valve on the water heater. Let it set for 5 min. without using any water. Then turn the valve back on. If you hear water running through the line you have a leak in a hot water line.
    John

john,

What puzzles me is the fact that the OP reports no visual leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    john,

What puzzles me is the fact that the OP reports no visual leaks.
    That's not unusual at all. It depends on the type of soil under the slab. In my area the soil in mostly sandy. The first sign of a leak under the slab is a large increase in water usage. Most never show any signs of water. Slab leaks in homes with copper pipe are very common down here in older homes.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    That's not unusual at all. It depends on the type of soil under the slab. In my area the soil in mostly sandy. The first sign of a leak under the slab is a large increase in water usage. Most never show any signs of water. Slab leaks in homes with copper pipe are very common down here in older homes.
    Of course I know about slab leaks, I've been dealing with them for a long time myself.

But here the OP didn't mention a slab, leading me to believe that the house could have a raised foundation (in which case a leak will be easy to detect).

Lets wait for more info from the Op.

My first condo had continuous loop hot water, The pipe ran under the floor right in front of my kitchen sink. Washing the dishes in bare feet was nice. Plus it heated the condo all winter.