+ Reply to Thread

Smile How to grout mosaic tile backsplash

Just finished scaping off all the thinset on the glass tiles. Thanks for the help. Dental tools really worked well. Now I have to put the grout on and don't want to make the same mistakes. Do I wipe the grout off as soon as I put in on or do I wait 10 minutes or so? Thanks for any advise. Patricia
    Last edited by Patricia Kisil; 11-17-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Forgot a question

Default Re: How to grout mosaic tile backsplash

mix the grout to the consistency of soft peanut butter. spread it on with your grout float making sure to push it well into the grout lines then sc**** it off with the edge of the float. you might want to work in sections of about 3'-5' at a time if you've never done it before. wait about 10 minutes then use a sponge to wipe off all the heavy grout that's sitting on the tile. once you've wiped it down once, clean out your bucket and sponge and start with some clean water. then go over it again and lightly wipe in the direction of the grout lines, vertically and horizontally shaping the grout into the grout lines. this is where you decide how much of a reveal you want between the tiles and you can also fill in any areas that you might have missed. after the second wiping, wait about 10-15 more minutes and just lightly wipe the haze off the tile with a clean damp sponge. now let the grout dry for about a half hour to an hour or so while you work on another section of tile. after you've waited, use a clean dry cloth and lightly buff the tile to remove the haze once again. now you're done.

the only thing i would recommend is to use a grout sealer the following day. at the very least use it behind the stove where you might get oils or something splashing on the tile.

Read this Grouting Tutorial some really handsome guy wrote.

[QUOTE=MLB Construction;284293]mix the grout to the consistency of soft peanut butter. spread it on with your grout float making sure to push it well into the grout lines then sc**** it off with the edge of the float. you might want to work in sections of about 3'-5' at a time if you've never done it before. wait about 10 minutes then use a sponge to wipe off all the heavy grout that's sitting on the tile. once you've wiped it down once, clean out your bucket and sponge and start with some clean water. then go over it again and lightly wipe in the direction of the grout lines, vertically and horizontally shaping the grout into the grout lines. this is where you decide how much of a reveal you want between the tiles and you can also fill in any areas that you might have missed. after the second wiping, wait about 10-15 more minutes and just lightly wipe the haze off the tile with a clean damp sponge. now let the grout dry for about a half hour to an hour or so while you work on another section of tile. after you've waited, use a clean dry cloth and lightly buff the tile to remove the haze once again. now you're done.

the only thing i would recommend is to use a grout sealer the following day. at the very least use it behind the stove where you might get oils or something splashing on the tile.

Thank you this will help alot. Thanks again

One remark to MLB's complete instructions:

If you want to seal the grout, read the instructions on your sealer, sometimes you have to wait a few days before you can seal.