+ Reply to Thread

Default Help. Water supply valve stuck. No turn handles.

Hi there,

I would really appreciate all the help I can get.
    I'm trying to close the water supply valve to the toilet, but it is stuck. The valve doesn't have a handle, but instead it looks like it uses a screwdriver (maybe?). I tried turning it both ways with a screwdriver, but it isn't turning at all. Here are some pictures, if you were wondering:

Front view: http://imgur.com/z5DlubE
    Top view: http://imgur.com/2O9ZSET

I live in an apartment, so I don't have access to the main water supply valve either. I'm a total newbie, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Help. Water supply valve stuck. No turn handles.

You will better off replacing this valve. But to do so you will need to shut the water.

Call your landlord - he should do it. I'm a landlord and I would want my tenants to call me first for a thing like this.

Use only a quarter turn valve as they are nylon on the inside and will not have these issues, ever. Well worth the dollar extra.

Yup, I'd call the landlord or the property management company (whoever you send the rent check to). Their maintenance people should be able to help and then the responsibility is on them -- not you -- if something breaks.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.