+ Reply to Thread

Default Help identifying old door knob

We just finished a remodel of our old 100yr old home and lost an interior door knob.

I'd like to replace it but have no idea what kind it is. I could use some help identifying the manufacturer, type, etc.

Here are 3 photos https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sxmr5u8b8tcm3e3/U0SDldnBzD
    (I couldn't post them here because they are too large.)

Let me know if you need more information (measurements, etc.). THanks

Default Re: Help identifying old door knob

Looks like a fairly common style to me. Seen those many times. Shouldn't be all that hard to locate.

Click here

then

Click here

It is a generic plain style,from 1900 and later, up to the post-war period, even. There may be a name (or monogram) on the lock itself, but you will have to pull it to see it. If a monogram, they can be readable of not.
    The knob would have been any number of styles, just not Eastlake/Victorian, because it's later.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Most urban areas have restoration salvage yards that save old architectural items and hardware. Those knobs and style of backplate were around for decades. They usually had a square, threaded shaft upon which the knob would thread until it was snug to the backplate. They normally would have two set screws which would then be tighted until they snugged up against the squared shaft. I would be surprised if they are not available somewhere ******.