+ Reply to Thread

Default enamel coming off of kitchen sink

Hello. I have an old Kohler kitchen sink. my house was built in 1920 so not sure if it is origional or if it was installed at a later time. the sink is one bowl with double drain boards. right in the middle of the sink around the drain the enamel is washing off and reveling the cast iron. it is starting to rust and I try to keep it dry when not using the sink. every time I wash the sink I can see the enamel wash off in that spot. also the strainer is cracked and will no longer hold water in the sink. the drain opening is 6" in diameter. is there a way to restore the enamel or am I just going to have to baby the sink to keep it from rusting more. also do they still make the old strainers. right now I use a rubber drain plug to keep water in the sink. tried to upload a picture but it keeps saying that it is an invalad type even though it is JPG and only 112KB. Thanks.

Default Re: enamel coming off of kitchen sink

There isn't much you can do about the enamel coming off, that is generally a sign that the sink has reached it's useful end. The only thing you can try is to get a bottle of enamel repair at the hardware store, it will likely be in the paint aisle. The bottle is about the size of a fingernail polish bottle and has the same style brush applicator inside the lid. It will probably be easiest to ask for help finding it. Follow the instructions on the label. This won't be an invisible repair, but it will help to keep rust at bay and further degradation of the area.

The sink strainer should be a standard size. You can compare your measurements against new strainers in the store before purchase. If you strainer is damaged, make sure it isn't leaking under the sink. If everything is fine under the sink, it's probably your stopper that's at issue.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

What ??? Only 93 years of useful service ???

I think you got your money's worth out of that sink. It lived a good life. Its time for a new one which will take the place of the original, carrying the torch forward into the next century.

thanks. will have to look for that enamel repair but think it might take a few bottles if they are that small. the strainer size is not the same as new strainers. I took a new strainer and it looks like a toy when you put it in the opening. from bottom of drain opening to bottom of sink is around 4" and is 6" in diameter at sink bottom. it does transisson down to the standard pipe size but the strainer basket and opening are much bigger than what todays are.

Don't waste your time and money on a flimsy repair job, but don't let me stop you if that's what you want to do.

Start shopping for a new sink instead. And Oh yes, a new faucet too.