+ Reply to Thread

Default Stinky Basement Air Coming thru Vents After new furnace and AC Unit Installed

Hi, About 2 years ago, I had a Central Air unit and new Furnace installed in my 1926 home. Never had Central Air before. Well... Now whenever I run the air cond. or furnace (AC WORSE by quite a bit) The air coming from the vent stinks like the mildewy basement. I was told that the unit will suck air from wherever it can get it including seams in duct work, therefore from basement area that stinks. I cleaned the basement as well as I could on a budget. Scrubbed walls, sprayed bleach on them and painted with drylock. Also got dehumidifier. The basement is almost always dry now and stinks less than before. However my whole house reeks of mildew completely now. City inspector said he'd never seen this before even in old homes. Help?? Guess theres likely nothing to be done, but any advice is welcome...

Default Re: Stinky Basement Air Coming thru Vents After new furnace and AC Unit Installed

What is the basement ceiling ?

Default Re: Stinky Basement Air Coming thru Vents After new furnace and AC Unit Installed

I assume you don't have a humidifier installed in your system.
    I would check the drain pan under the cooling coils to make sure it is draining properly.
    It could be clogged.
    Pan could be Tilted so water doesn't completely flow to the drain.
    Smell could be coming the though the pan drain if it doesn't have a trap. Where does the drain go to.
    Be sure the cooling coils are clean.
    Did the installer ever come back to inspect the system? After two years you might not get any warrantee service. A professional HVAC company should be able to figure it out. I would think twice about having the same company look at it unless it is covered by a warrantee.

Do you have a whole house humidifier attached to your furnace? Stale water in the unit could be causing the odor. In any event, you can bet that moisture is involved with the odor. I am really surprised that the odor is still evident when the heat is on, as moisture and humidity decrease with heat.