+ Reply to Thread

Default Kitchen Mosaic Tile Backsplash

We have never installed mosaic tile before. They told us to put thinset on the wall and the back of the tiles. Well we did that and we got thinset all over the tiles and in between on the glass where the grout goes. I have tried to get it off with a plastic knife but just is not working. I know the thinset must come off before we grout. Does anyone know HOW? Can I use a wire brush or will that scatch the glass tiles ? I thank you for any help you can give. Trish

Default Re: Kitchen Mosaic Tile Backsplash

whoever told you that did not know what they were talking about.

when installing mosaic tile, especially glass ones, you are supposed to use white thinset. spread it with a 1/8" notched trowel, once it's spread you use the flat side of the trowel and smooth it out so that it's a nice flat surface. then you gently place the mosaic in place and evenly tamp it against the wall with a grout float just enough so that the thinset barely enters the space between the tiles.

to solve your problem you can do one of two things.

1. get some dental tools, a small putty knife, a painting knife, a razor or anything that you can find that will work and spend hour upon hour of taking the thinset out of the space between the tiles.

2. (my choice) rip out the tile that you installed and start over with some new tile.

Thank you for your help. I guess no easy way, so I will be spending hours after hours but can't efford to buy new ones. Thanks agin. Trish

MLB is right about the choice of grout, its application and clean up.

You never put grout on the surface AND back of small tiles/glass - it's way too much grout and the grout has no place to go!

If the grout is still on the wall, you can also use grout removing hand tool to speed it up a bit - available wherever tiles are sold. Or the tools mentioned above.

When all the grout is out and the glass is off the wall, you need to clean the wall - use a putty knife, but don't damage the surface.

Then start over.

Next time, hire a pro - it will be cheaper in time, materials and nerves.

When at the big box stores restrict your questions to ones that begin with, "where can I find the ....."

You can get answers to all things tile at the John Bridge Tile Forum. Tell them we sent you.