+ Reply to Thread

Default dmmer and timer on 3 way lighting circuit

Exterior lights are controlled via a 3 way circuit and I wish to have dimming and timer capabilities on the same circuit. I have a programmable timer that works but when I attempt to put a dimmer in the other switch location it will not work as the timer requires the removal of one of the wires (perhaps the traveler) from the 3 way switch.

Any experience and ideas on how to accomplish this? I would appreciate the help.

Default Re: dmmer and timer on 3 way lighting circuit

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
    Exterior lights are controlled via a 3 way circuit and I wish to have dimming and timer capabilities on the same circuit. I have a programmable timer that works but when I attempt to put a dimmer in the other switch location it will not work as the timer requires the removal of one of the wires (perhaps the traveler) from the 3 way switch.

Any experience and ideas on how to accomplish this? I would appreciate the help.
    First Location:
    Put the timer on the feed to the the 1st 3w switch. This 3w can also be a 3w switch having a built-in dimmer.
    The timer location will require a neutral connection to comply with Code.
    The timer requires constant 120V to maintain time, so it must be located before the 1st 3w switch.

Second Location:
    The 2nd 3w location can also be the dimmer location. But usually only one dimmer per circuit is allowed, on the least expensive dimmers.

BTW, if the load is a low power CFL or LED be sure the dimmer is designed for it. If the timer does not have a relay output (Triac) it too may not work with CFL's or LED's.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content