+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How to cover concrete retaining wall so it doesn't scratch cars

I am embarrassed to admit that I have once again scratched the passenger side of my Prius on the low retaining wall to the side of my driveway.

The retaining wall is concrete. Anyone know of a substance I could cover it with (something rubber-like) to prevent the paint damage to the cars?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Ethel Ethel; 11-09-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Default Re: How to cover concrete retaining wall so it doesn't scratch cars

The only way to stop damage to your cars is to stop driving into the wall. Anything you coat the wall with is still going to smudge/scratch/dent the side of your car if you rub against it. The only thing you could do would be to install a curb in front of the wall so that your tires prevent you from getting too close to the wall, but even then, it would still be up to you to be aware of your vehicle and surroundings to avoid damage to your vehicle.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There are foam insulation panels.

You can also hang one of those blow up pool floaties

Is that why folks hung shag carpeting on the garage walls in the 70's? But then you'd look like a serial killer, so better stick with the foam panels.

Remember the bumper cars in the carnival? They had over sized bumpers.

Another option: On the docks they use old tires as bumpers.

And another option: get an older banged up car model and don't worry about it.

You might consider installing curb feelers to warn you when you are getting to close.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

How about fenders(bumpers) hung from the wall or car like you see hanging on the hull of boats. Fire hose attach in a gathered up pattern attached to the wall like you see on docks. The point taken from boating is that you know you will hit something, so try to minimize the damage.
    Quit texting or talking on the phone as you pull into the driveway.
    Pay attention.
    Switch to public transportation. Ride a bIke.

We have a flowering bush that goes over the side.

We don't want to damage the plant - it's in our vision - and we don't damage the wall.

Its a little tacky, but you could use some of those plastic fake rock siding that you see used as skirting on mobile homes. From a distance it would look like a rock faced wall, but up close, ugh.

Second choice would be a rumble strip close to the wall. If you have a asphalt driveway, you should be able to get somene who works on highways to make one for you. A concrete driveway is a little more difficult but doable.

If you can't operate your vehicle well enough to avoid a stationary object at low speeds, then you need to stop driving. We all make the occasional mistake like this but if it happens on so regular a basis that you begin thinking more about your paint than the other people you're endangering by being behind the wheel then it's time for you to stop driving before the damage is more than scratched paint and can't be fixed by mere mortals. Your post tells me that you're more concerned about your paint than my life when I'm on the road next to you and I don't like that one bit. The wall did nothing so it can't be fixed because it isn't broken. The problem is YOU and only you or a Judge can fix that.

Sorry if this isn't a pleasant response but when the truth hurts like this then it's because it is supposed to.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    If you can't operate your vehicle well enough to avoid a stationary object at low speeds, then you need to stop driving. We all make the occasional mistake like this but if it happens on so regular a basis that you begin thinking more about your paint than the other people you're endangering by being behind the wheel then it's time for you to stop driving before the damage is more than scratched paint and can't be fixed by mere mortals. Your post tells me that you're more concerned about your paint than my life when I'm on the road next to you and I don't like that one bit. The wall did nothing so it can't be fixed because it isn't broken. The problem is YOU and only you or a Judge can fix that.

Sorry if this isn't a pleasant response but when the truth hurts like this then it's because it is supposed to.

Phil
    Learn how to comprehend what you're reading before you spout off to someone else...

on the low retaining wall to the side of my driveway.
    Obviously, the OP is talking about something below the line of sight of the fender.