+ Reply to Thread

Default New fan has two lights, I only have one

I'm replacing an older, inexpensive bathroom fan with an upgraded Panasonic model. The old fan had a live, neutral, and ground for both fan and light.

The new Panasonic has one ground. It has a separate live and neutral for the fan, and one live wire each for the light and nightlight. There is only one shared neutral for light and nightlight.

My incoming wiring from the old fan is one ground, one neutral, and one live, off a single wall switch. That's it.

If I want my new fan to run just like the old one *all lights and fan on when the switch is on, all lights and fan off when the switch is off how can I safely depart from the instructions on the installation manual that assume there's an incoming wire to meet each corresponding wire on the fan?

Default Re: New fan has two lights, I only have one

Connect all the hots together, the switch will then turn on every thing at once. The night light is probably just a waste so you might consider just capping the hot for it.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: New fan has two lights, I only have one

Thank you!