+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint Chips on Doors and Woodwork

We just moved into a home built in '39, a couple weeks ago. It was agent-owned and lovely. But we are already seeing lots of chips in the paint on the doors and trim! It chips right down to the wood. There don't appear to be many coats of paint underneath. It's actually confusing because sometimes I see one other color, sometimes it looks like a primer underneath, and other places it just looks like they painted over stained wood. The paint doesn't appear to be peeling---it's just that it doesn't take much of a "knocking" for small pieces to just fall right off.

Anyways, I'm debating whether to just resign myself to touching up the chips with the paint that is left in the basement, frequently, or whether I need to do something more drastic. I can't figure out why some areas of the home seem fine, and others aren't. It's like there are several different finishes underneath is different rooms, but not all on top of each other, if that makes any sense.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Default Re: Paint Chips on Doors and Woodwork

What you need is to re-do the paint job on the door.

Scr-ape and loosen all cracks, sand well till smooth, prime with two coats of quality primer, let dry completely. For the final coat of paint, it will be better to spray it on.

Default Re: Paint Chips on Doors and Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What you need is to re-do the paint job on the door.

Scr-ape and loosen all cracks, sand well till smooth, prime with two coats of quality primer, let dry completely. For the final coat of paint, it will be better to spray it on.
    Thanks. The cold weather has already hit us, so I may put this on hold til late Spring.