+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Backup from washing machine into kitchen sink

The venting occurs above the roof for two reasons. One is odor- above the roof it dissipates quickly and is rarely an issue. Second and most importantly is that sewer gasses can be poisonous and contain nasties which can lead to another obituary column.

Many old houses here have the entire drain stack (including the vent) ran on the outside of the house. While not pretty, it works. You really need to vent above the house somehow. So long as it's within 40ft laterally of the fixture being vented and there is an upward pitch toward the vent, you can locate it anywhere in a convenient wall where repairs are easier, such as in an exterior closet wall. At the top plate line it can turn so that it either clears a couple feet above the eaves or so that you can run it through the roof. It's not that tough to do and one vent can usually serve all fixtures when it's done properly.

Studor vents are to be used only where proper venting is practical impossibility
    such as with a sink in an island. They are not to be used as a stand-in for a proper vent which is where this problem comes from. Get out the drill and holesaw and run a proper vent before someone gets deathly sick.

Phil

Kitchen sinks and Landry connections are not allowed to be connected to the same pipe. they must be connected independently to the main drainage pipe. redo your piping.

Thanks for all of the answers, guys. I replaced the 1.5 in black water line with 2 in drain pipe as suggested and installed a vent outside of the house in the 4 in main line by digging up the main line, cutting the line, installing a t with a 2in pipe and putting a short U in it like you see in dumps and such places.
    No back-up issues anymore and since this is only for the gray water out of the washing machine and kitchen sink I have no odor at all.
    When replacing the drainage line I also put a clean out end on it as the original pipe did not have one.

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    Kitchen sinks and Landry connections are not allowed to be connected to the same pipe. they must be connected independently to the main drainage pipe. redo your piping.
    I may not have been clear on this. The lines are separate and go into the main line at different points. They are not joined together before attaching to the main lines.

Thanks for coming back and sharing your solution. I wish more of the folks we try to help would do this!

Phil