+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fencing: Vinyl

Default Fencing: Vinyl

I am in need of putting up some privacy fencing with short notice (due to an inconsiderate neighbor and his dog). I currently have 5' chain link all around my back yard. My neighbor on one side is supportive of vinyl fencing and I'll talk to my other neighbor soon.

It seems that vinyl fencing is all the rage. I see it being put up all over town. A friend told me, though, that it is susceptible to breakage in cold temperatures (I live in Montana) if something hits it. I am not sure what that "something" is.

I am getting estimates for both wood and vinyl. I like the vinyl because of the reduced maintenance (it would prevent me from having to get into my neighbor's yards when it needs to be fixed or refinished). I also want a fence that is tight...meaning no spaces between pieces.

What are your thoughts about the downside of vinyl fencing (besides the cost)?

Thank you!

Default Re: Fencing: Vinyl

All fences are subject to horrific weather conditions, the worse the conditions, the shorter the life of the fence.

If you see that everybody near you is installing vinyl fences, ask the installers why.

It seems to me that with the low temps you have they will become brittle in a very short time. Then crack and break. Just drive around and check older fences (10 + years) and see how they fair as apposed to wood.

Redwood or cedar will be a better choice. You can have them installed in such a way that there will be no gaps between the boards.

And the cost of materials? wood is less. Wood is also easier to replace, if a few boards need replacement.

I would forget about vinyl, it becomes brittle with age, let alone temperature changes. Wood is the better choice and can be installed in such a way as to not have spaces by lapping edges. As to the neighbor with the dog, call animal control if the neighbor isn't controlling his animal. Disruptive animals are both a nuisance and a danger, if your neighbor won't deal with his own business, animal control will make him. If the neighbor is a renter, then the landlord/owner will be required to help deal with the tenant/dog issue, including paying for a fence.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Here in Portland, Oregon, low temps is not a real roblem, but i do notice that algae seems to like to grow on it. It has to be washed down occasionally to get rid of it, but I guess that beats having to paint it.

I can tell you from personal experience that a rock picked up and thrown by a large snow thrower, will make holes in PVC siding. Those fences are PVC too.

Over a perhaps 5-8 year timespan, vinyl fencing will look nicer and require less maintenance. By then it's all going to have to be replaced. If I were selling I'd consider it, but if I were planning to stay I'd be thinking "wood". Something that you might want to consider is chain link 'slatting', metal strips inserted diagonally into the chain link weave. It's kind of an industrial look so may not appeal to you and it's semi-private as there are small spaces one can look through from up close. It comes in several colors and would be my choice if it were sufficient. And it can be easily removed should you want to when the neighbor is gone. You could also consider planting cover bushes or trees. Semi-mature trees like Leyland Cypress and bushes like Redbuds can fill in and cover quickly with close planting. Prettier to look at than a fence, too.

I don't know what problem you are having with your neighbor and the dog, but in most places there are laws to cover nuisance people and animals. Especially aggressive animals which are often listed by breed. With those kinds, most laws place the burden of proof that there is no trouble on the owner, and calling in thew authorities with these usually results in close monitoring so that the animal gets picked up PDQ with the owner not only paying a fine but being disallowed from pet ownership in that jurisdiction in the future- then they move away and solve your problem. Also look up laws concerning 'breach of peace'. Odds are that you've got them there already.

Phil

Talking about vinyl fences: A couple of days ago a customer called and asked what to do with cracking, sagging sections of her 12 year old vinyl fence.

The fence is so dry, brittle and popping. A different picture than the advertisements for new vinyl fences.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Talking about vinyl fences: A couple of days ago a customer called and asked what to do with cracking, sagging sections of her 12 year old vinyl fence.

The fence is so dry, brittle and popping. A different picture than the advertisements for new vinyl fences.
    The same thing can be said/shown for vinyl siding as well. Looks somewhat ok when new, looks like garbage within a few years.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Not all vinyl fences are break up with temperature swings and climate condition changes. There are PVC vinyl fences that are precisely engineered to ensure the greatest impact resistance. PVC resin is checked for moisture, color and content.

Nothing compares to a well built wood fence of cedar. Use 6x6 posts, sandwich 1x6 (the real dimension wood, rough cut) between 2, 2x4's. Put a 2x6 cap ontop and you're done. The fence will last 30 years if taken care of.