+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Advise on buying new tub?

Quote Originally Posted by Rootoo View Post
    Are the cast iron tubs similar, or the same, as the tubs from way back in my grandfather's day? The ones with the claw feet and the white enamel that sometimes chipped if you dropped something heavy into it? I loved the old tub my grandfather had and wished we had taken it out, and replaced it with a new one, when we sold the house. I would have kept it for my house.
    Yes, they are made the same way as olden days, but likely with time and financial scrutiny, not as good as your grandfather's tub. That is not to say that today's enameled tubs are bad, only that maybe the cast iron or steel isn't quite as thick, and the enamel isn't quite as thick, which makes it a little more susceptible to thermal dynamics. Still, enamel is a far more durable surface than acrylic or fiberglass gel coat.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Are there different "grades" of acrylic tubs? I'm seeing some that look the same but one is $900, another is
    $1400, yet another is $2500. The sales associate couldn't satisfactorily explain the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by handsindirt View Post
    Are there different "grades" of acrylic tubs? I'm seeing some that look the same but one is $900, another is
    $1400, yet another is $2500. The sales associate couldn't satisfactorily explain the difference.
    Yes, there are, and it generally has to do with the thickness of the acrylic and how it was made, the more resin used, the more expensive the tub is going to be. Also, there is a difference between pouring resin into a mold and taking a sheet of resin, heat forming it.

If the price differences you speak of are from the same brand name, it would be easy enough to contact the manufacturer for clarification. If they are different brands, it's going to be a bit more difficult to figure out, but you can still do it, I'd start with the thickness of the material and how it was made. And finally, whenever you encounter a sales person who cannot answer your questions satisfactorily, it is time to move on to another establishment and find one who can.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks again, everyone, for comments. I will say that I'm having a heck of a time finding any articles/website discussing/comparing thicknesses of acrylic as pertaining to use, longevity, etc. Does such a rating system exist?

Yes, its called weight. Generally the heavier they are, the better they are.

Might want to google "hernia treatments"

Enameled steel is very good option but you can go for Cast iron also as it is very durable and they don't chip as easily as steel because enamel coating is very thicker. You can choose any beautiful design according to your taste though if i were in your shoes I would have gone for white timberframe.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlehman View Post
    Enameled steel is very good option but you can go for Cast iron also as it is very durable and they don't chip as easily as steel because enamel coating is very thicker. You can choose any beautiful design according to your taste though if i were in your shoes I would have gone for white timberframe.
    It is not the enamel that is thicker, it is the cast iron that is thicker and more stable, which in turn makes the enamel more durable and resistant to chips or pops.

I saw "sales associate"- seems our DIY friend here may be asking folks who don't know their products. Ask local plumbing suppliers who will know their products, as opposed to someone who has just been given a short course in how to keep their aisle looking pretty.

Weight is a very good gauge of quality in tubs and sinks as that is where manufacturers save money- anyone can make something pretty but it takes more material to add the strength and durability that a good product has. With tubs I always tell customers to remember that classic styles do best in the long run as the tub is (hopefully) going to be there for a very long time as trendy styles change over the years.

Phil