+ Reply to Thread

Default Stove heat board - what are my options to improve?

Hi there, I have a Cape Cod with an 11 x 15 kitchen that needs updating. One of the items I am researching is what is going on behind the stove - it's a gas range set up against two walls, in the corner. Two pieces of heatboard have been installed, I'm told the previous owners had a fire from the ranges closest to the wall - or maybe the threat of a fire, no idea what's behind the board.

The kitchen needs to be renovated cheaply for resell in a few years. I'm thinking right now that my options are to see if the stove can be moved, or what I can do to replace/update the backsplash for something more attractive.

Anyone have experience with these things?

Houston Texas

Default Re: Stove heat board - what are my options to improve?

How do you know the fire wasn't from cooking grease or other stove top user mishaps?

With any modern oven, the walls are built well enough and the top vents as to prevent fires. Think about wall mounted ovens.

Unless you've experienced the wall's other side getting too hot to touch, I wouldn't worry about it.

Using a stove in a corner is a PITA to use though.

Portland, Oregon, formerly of Chicago

Even today's self-cleaning ovens, which have interior temps around 1000 degress, are safe directly next to a combustible wall. Normal ovens don't get to half those temps internally. Heck, I make
    grandma's old meatpie recipe using an old brown paper bag over the baking pan to let the crust brown and the moisture escape. The bag gets a little brown at 425 degrees for an hour and a half , but never ignites.

Years ago there was a movie by the name of "Fahrenheit 451". It concerned a future society which was burning the books and 451 is supposedly the ignition point of paper.

Not sure what you mean by "Heat Board", but if it's solid and flat you can cover it with metal- stainless or enameled sheets are made for this purpose and look good without costing a fortune. They'll last a few years and are easy to maintain.

Being that you plan to sell, make sure that any money you spend will return on the sale. Sometimes when you're pretty sure a new owned will want to totally re-do an area, it's best to spend the least possible at the latest point, reaching a point just good enough to clinch a sale. I recently replaced all the brand-new door hardware in a newly-sold home because the new owner didn't like the color. Just shows that you can never really know what someone will like!