+ Reply to Thread

Default Sharkbite Plumbing Fittings

There's been a couple of episodes that mention the Sharkbite connections which are solderless and doesn't use compression. Recently I had to replace both the hot and cold valves that supplied my washer. They were hopelessly corroded and broken. I couldn't turn them off so I had to remove the valves altogether. They were old-type threaded connections that were soldered to a copper pipe. And yes back then I guess you had the option to use the thread or solder it. Anyway they were contained in one of those white plastic boxes mounted into the wall for washer plumbing. The problem was I couldn't unsolder them for fear of burning the box. So I got a minipipe cutter and cut both of them off. However this left me with only about 0.5 inches of copper pipe coming up out of the hole. So on the recommendation of a guy at the home center I purchased two Sharkbite fittings with a male connection to screw a valve onto. I did everything right. I meticulously sanded the ends of the copper pipes to minimize burrs. I'm now having second thoughts. I have this o-ring/stainless steel teeth connection essentially in a wall that is not accessible. So far I can't see any leaks, but does anyone have any reason why this shouldn't work or are there any plumbing standards that have been violated by doing this?

Default Re: Sharkbite Plumbing Fittings

I have used these in situations where sweating would be an issue. I have not had any problems to date. If you install it according to directions, as it seems you did you should be fine.

They are pricey but in some cases that is the only way to go.

- Did you remove the sleeve (for copper connection)?
    - You mentioned you only had about 1/2" of the copper, this might be an issue. The sharkbite fitting has to have about 7/8"-1" of the cooper tube so that the O ring covers it completely.

These connections came in plastic bags with pictures on the back for directions. There was no mention of a sleeve, and I don't remember there being one. It is useful to note that while there was only 0.5 inch of pipe in the box, more of the pipe was accessible through the entrance hole to the box. So when I pressed the fitting into place it went down through the hole on the pipe at least and inch in my estimation. Thx for the help.

Sharkbite fittings are hideously expensive; you wouldn't want to plumb an entire house with them. But for fixes they are great, and cheaper than the cost of a plumber.

A couple of years ago my cousin who lives in another state -- who has zero plumbing skills but a fair amount of intelligence -- had some CPVC pipes freeze and fracture in her bathroom. She could not afford to hire a plumber (and I was too far away to help in person); she posted her plight on Facebook. I encouraged her to check out the Sharkbite fittings, and she was able to fix the pipes herself.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Sharkbite fittings are rated for inaccesible locations and if properly installed are awesome. I have seen and heard of only one failing, and this was where a vertical 1/2" copper pipe about 3' long pushed the fitting off when it froze solid. 3 feet of ice expands a lot and with much pressure so I can't fault the fitting here- something would have let go whatever was installed there under those conditions! I pushed the fitting back on and insulated the pipe and it's held for 3 more years so far. Rest easy, these things work excellently.

Phil