+ Reply to Thread

Default Backup Sump Pump Battery Charger Buzzing

I recently had a Zoeller battery backup sump pump installed (based on the location, it would have been difficult to install a water-powered backup).

The battery charger buzzes and it's rather annoying, since I have a finished basement and I'm down there a lot. I assume the buzz is the transformer. Is there any way to reduce or minimize that buzz?

Default Re: Backup Sump Pump Battery Charger Buzzing

You can move the charger to an area where the buzzing won't be a problem, just be sure it has cooling room around it as they do produce some heat. You may also find that placing it on top of rubber sheeting reduces the noise enough (cheap PC mouse pads work good for this). If it still buzzes, the transformer mounting may be loose. Unplug everything, open the case and check all nuts, bolts, and screws for tightness. Replace the case, reconnect it and see what you've got. If it's still a problem you may want to try a different charger, but be careful to choose one rated for the size and type of battery- AGM,s and lead-acids and Li-Ions all take different chargers and the wrong one can make for flames or explosions! Also check the battery condition, as this should battery not be charging much since it's not being used so the charger should not be operating often. If it is, then this could mean the battery is bad and the charger is trying to keep it charged constantly. If you've still got warranty coverage that's going to be affected by any changes you make so in that case try the system manufacturer first. They may be aware of the problem and have a fix for it.

Phil

Replace the transformer?

Many smaller battery chargers no longer use transformers but instead operate on pulsing power similar to the "switching power supply" in your desktop PC has inside it. Transformers that audibly hum are usually the result of a poor mounting design which goes beyond the average Joe's capability of fixing within the confines of the charger so relocation of the whole unit is the usual fix. If the charger is charging and the battery isn't causing an overload, the transformer is probably OK.

Phil