+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up Re: Wood door or Metal door, which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Metal and fiberglass doors are extremely stabil. Wooden doors are going to swell and schrink with the seasons. Even if the wood door had superior R values, the inherent movement of the door makes for poor weatherstripping. A poorly weatherstripped door will lose far more heat than a tight, lower R value door.
    I totally support you Ordgen.. I just love my 4 panel Richmond doors installed last year, I have added it with scarlett glasses. the curb appeal it provides perfectly illuminates my entrance. As I am living in a northern region, this perfectly match my preferences. The main benefit of fiberglass doors is that they don't dent, rust, scratch or crack and their unique construction makes them extremely resistant to thermal bowing.

Just for an additional help in choosing replacement doors: http://www.clerawindows.com/blog/you...st-impression/
    All the very best with this project

Default Re: Wood door or Metal door, which is better?

Did everyone ignore my brilliant suggestion for a fiberglass door in the very first posting ?

Spruce is correct. The insurance industry never uses the term "fireproof". "Fire resistive" is the term used. Doors are rated as to how long they can withstand a certain temperature. Further, the rating goes beyond the door itself, but includes the entire unit, including the frame, hinges, etc.

Wood obviously still has its place; you can't buy doors like this in substitute materials:
    6'0"x 10'-0" door set, white pine:

Mahogany 3'6"x6'8"

I have churned out a fair number of oddball doors over the years, most of them pre-digital
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Wood obviously still has its place; you can't buy doors like this in substitute materials:
    6'0"x 10'-0" door set, white pine:

Mahogany 3'6"x6'8"

I have churned out a fair number of oddball doors over the years, most of them pre-digital

Then also there are salvage doors you can get pretty cheaply which add a certain flair to projects:

Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Wood door, natural is better!

Quote Originally Posted by Rootoo View Post
    We have both metal and wood doors as well and we also live in a cold area. I find the metal door is usually cold to the touch in winter but provides a good barrier against the cold entering the house. I would think the wood door would require more painting over the years but they do look nice on a house.
    Exactly true! I would naturally prefer metal doors as they are less in maintenance compare to that of the wood. Its durable too and looks better around the house.

Stepan