+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Wood door or Metal door, which is better?

I live in WI and the front and back doors both are metal doors. During the winter they get very cold and I think add to the cold that comes in the house. I would like to replace them with wood doors. Any possible issues with this? Any reason a metal door should be chosen over a wood door?

Thank you

Default Re: Wood door or Metal door, which is better?

I would do some research as to the thermal values of wood vs. metal doors, my suspicion is that a metal door is a bit better, even though it feels colder, it isn't. Here is a quick explanation of what's going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqDbMEdLiCs

A metal door is two separate skins of metal with a wood frame around their perimeter and foam insulation between them.

While wood is a decent insulator, the thickness of a door isn't very thermally efficient.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Plus the usual maintenance issues with wood doors.

Consider a fiberglass clad door.

A possible reason why your home has metal doors and not wood doors is your weather conditions.

Check with a few of your neighbors and compare.

Metal and fiberglas doors are extremely stabil. Wooden doors are going to swell and schrink with the seasons. Even if the wood door had superior R values, the inherent movement of the door makes for poor weatherstripping. A poorly weatherstripped door will lose far more heat than a tight, lower R value door.

Speaking as an old painting contractor, I hated natural wood doors. Unless sheltered from sun and rain, they are a continuing pain in the rear to keep the varnish in good shape. Paint holds up far better, but again, compare to a finish on a metal or fiberglas door panel door, paint holds up far better due to the stability of the panels.

Solid metal doors do have heat conductivity problems but most residential doors are metal-clad wood which mitigates that. Go for the fiberglass doors, they're about as good as it gets in terms of strength, longevity, and insulation when you consider the whole package. Focusing on only one aspect of anything is likely to give you grief in other areas which also need to be considered. I love a good solid wood door (I'm a traditionalist there) but nowadays there are better things so go with them.

Phil

Thumbs up Re: Wood door or Metal door, which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Metal and fiberglass doors are extremely stabil. Wooden doors are going to swell and schrink with the seasons. Even if the wood door had superior R values, the inherent movement of the door makes for poor weatherstripping. A poorly weatherstripped door will lose far more heat than a tight, lower R value door.
    I totally support you Ordgen.. I just love my 4 panel Richmond doors installed last year, I have added it with scarlett glasses. the curb appeal it provides perfectly illuminates my entrance. As I am living in a northern region, this perfectly match my preferences. The main benefit of fiberglass doors is that they don't dent, rust, scratch or crack and their unique construction makes them extremely resistant to thermal bowing.

Just for an additional help in choosing replacement doors: http://www.clerawindows.com/blog/you...st-impression/
    All the very best with this project