+ Reply to Thread

Question which toe kick heater for 240V, double pole, line voltage thermostat

Hi,

I have in my kitchen (which is ~ 11x11) an electric baseboard, which I hardly ever use (doesn't get that cold in there) and would like to replace it with a toe kick heater...since I am remodeling my kitchen and need the wall space...
    The thermostat I am currently using (and would like to keep) is: Aube by Honeywell TH115-A-240D/U Electric Heating 7-Day Programmable Thermostat. It rates as follows:
    Rating: 3,600 watts @ 240 VAC, 15A resistive, 60 Hz

Does anyone know which toe kick heater I could use to fit my requirements?

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by dmshep99; 05-06-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Default Re: which toe kick heater for 240V, double pole, line voltage thermostat

http://www.marleymep.com/develop/Products/Berkoheat.htm

Qmark and Dayton make them and other companies as well.

Default Re: which toe kick heater for 240V, double pole, line voltage thermostat

Thanks!

Do you think this heater would do for what I need?

QmarkŪ Type QTS Toe Space Fan-Forced Heater

Item ID Catalog# Volts Watts
    QMARK685360065434 QTS1504T 240/208 1500/750/1125/564

Are they any good / quiet / durable etc?

Thanks again!

It depends as much on the circuit as on the thermostat.

If the circuit has a double-pole circuit breaker, usually indicated by two handles tied together, then you have a 240V circuit. Otherwise, it's a 120V circuit. (Exception: certain Square-D breakers have a single handle for 240V circuits.) You heater will have to be the proper voltage for the circuit.

Assuming 240V, if the breaker is 15A, then the heater should be no more than 2880W -- 80% of the circuit rating. If the breaker is 20A, then the heater should be no more than 3600W -- the maximum rating of the thermostat.

(Note: on a 20A circuit, the maximum wattage would be 4800 watts. Continuous loads, such as a heater, must be downrated to 80% of maximum. This leaves 3840W, but the thermostat is only 3600W, so we need to go with the smaller number.)

If the circuit is 120V, then the maximum wattage is half of what it would be on 240V.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thank you for a very thorough response!

I believe (but I will confirm it) I have a double-pole circuit breaker, 15A...so this heater seems to be fine.

Thanks AGAIN!

If it is a two pole stat the odds are 99 to 1 that it is a 240 volt circuit. But, yes always good to double check.

I have also never seen electric bb heat on anything less than a 20 amp cicuit. Not saying it couldn't happen.

Also, I doubt you will find a toe-space heater rated over 1500 watts. So even if you do only have a 15amp circuit you should be good to go.

It looks to me like your Qmark would be just the ticket. They run quiet and should last you a very long time.

I had two Qmark wall heaters in an enclosed three season patio and thought they were great.

Also, we used to figure 10watts a square foot in cold Montana. If heat in the kitchen is not that big of an issue your heater choice should be great as well.
    Last edited by NEC; 05-06-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Add thought